Cert III halfway through - moved states

General discussions on Certificate 3 and Certificate 4 in Children's Services and Childcare Traineeship FAQs.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Certificate 3. Please refer to Cert 3 Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
ShaniNev87

Cert III halfway through - moved states

Post by ShaniNev87 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:55 pm

Hey all,

I was halfway through studying my cert III last year and working full time in a childcare centre. I finished my job n studies in march due to personal reasons and have moved to qld and currently pregnant due in june. I was wanting to finish my last 4 modules before baby and am wondering how to do this? I was on an apprenticeship and have contacted local tafes but they all have fees where as going through an apprenticeship i didnt have to pay study fees. Does anyone know how I can get enrolled and start studying as soon as possible without the fees for cert III in qld? Thanks a bunch any help much appreciated!

Lorina

Re: Cert III halfway through - moved states

Post by Lorina » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:31 pm

Hi Shani,

Congratulations you're going to be a mummy soon... How exciting!

I've just had a read of your situation and I think the only way to complete your cert 3 is through tafe. Now obviously since you have only four modules left I dont think you will have to pay the entire course fee. From this particular Tafe in Queensland the fees are based on the module you are completing and the fees also depend on the modules that you have to do. Some cost more than others. I'll give you the link of where you can find the information: http://www.tafe.qld.gov.au/cis/index.ph ... se_id=2606

You mentioned that you had left your job... Just wanted to ask how long you have been working in Childcare for because another way to complete your remaining modules is to get them as RPL (recognition of prior learning). This is also done through the Tafe and basically what it means is instead of having to complete assignments you show your knowledge and skills and if it's enough then they will give you RPL for that module. I'm not sure how they assess this... I guess it's done through a series of questions.

You mentioned that you were looking to avoid having to pay a fee. Are you eligible for Centrelink payments? They can assist you by giving you fortnightly payments if you are studying etc. Maybe you should give them a call and have a chat. I'll also include the link for more info: http://www.centrelink.gov.au/

Hopefully you can finish before bub comes along!

Cheers :geek:,
L.A