Age Restriction On Educator Under 18 Who Completed Cert 3

General discussions on Certificate 3 and Certificate 4 in Children's Services and Childcare Traineeship FAQs.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Certificate 3. Please refer to Cert 3 Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
Lexi951

Age Restriction On Educator Under 18 Who Completed Cert 3

Post by Lexi951 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:55 pm

Can anyone please explain to me why a student under the age of 18 who has completed Cert 3 is unable to gain employment in a centre until they turn 18.

caseyy

Re: Age restriction

Post by caseyy » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:41 pm

It will be hard for the center to accommodate this as the National Quality Framework states people under the age of 18 cannot be alone with the children.

Lorina

Re: Age Restriction On Educator Under 18 Who Completed Cert 3

Post by Lorina » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:17 pm

In the National Regulations it states:

The approved provider of a centre-based service must ensure that any educator at the service who is under 18 years of age—
(a) does not work alone at the service; and
(b) is adequately supervised at all times by an educator who has attained the age of 18 years.

So, as long as an educator over 18 years of age is supervising the under 18 year old educator then it shouldn't be a problem! Even though the educator had completed a cert 3 qualification, centres may be hesitant to employ as they don't want to entrust so much responsibility...which is ridiculous because when you have completed a cert 3 regardless of age, you should be given the same opportunity (except for supervision requirements).

When I first started in the industry I was 17...so, there are centres you just need to find the right one!

:geek:,
Lorina