Scenarios On Ethical Practices

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Daye
Helper
Helper

Scenarios On Ethical Practices

Post by Daye » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:59 am

Scenario

The younger babies in the room have all been settled during the day and their charts have been maintained by the team leader Aman,who has now left for the day.

Question:
1. As an educator that has been in the room all day, what is your responsibility to communicate with the parents when they come to collect their babies?

Answer:

As an educator who has been in the room all day I will inform the parents about the activities their babies done on the day. I will inform the parents about the learning and development of their babies.I will inform parents about the sleep routine, I will also inform them about how babies responds to these words, the song, and the bedtime cues that assist the babies settling to sleep quickly.I will inform parents that the babies sleeping environment is quiet.I will inform parents that during meals for example the babies feed using her hands but with supervision of adults. I will inform parents about the babies favourite foods like bananas, apples....if their babies are beginning to drink water with the use of cup.I will inform what books and stories the babies enjoy like for example books with pictures of animals.

2. Lucy who has strained her back, has forgotten to take her scheduled breaks as planned in her Workcover return to work program.She tells you not to tell the director.

Questions

A) What is the ethical dilemma with this situation?

Answer:
A) The ethical dillema in this situation is your colleagues asked you not to tell it to your Director when you know that it is your duty to inform your Director because your colleage might be at risk of further harming herself for not taking a break as planned in her work cover.It is also an ethical dilemma because your colleague not taking a break as planned in her workcover is not following the centres policy.

B.) What legislation is Lucy not following?
Lucy is not following the WHS legislation.

3. At the end of the day, one of the 2 year-olds is falling aslerp during group time and the child becomes very distressed when woken up. This has been happening consistently over the last couple of weeks. The parents have requested that their child is not allowed to sleep during the day because when she does have a sleep, she stays awake late in the evening.

Questions:
A.) What are the ethical issues in this scenario?
The ethical scenarios are the staff has a responsibility to parents to listen and respond to the request of parents with regards to their request of not allowing their child to sleep during the day because the child is awake late in the evening,
- the staff on the other hand will not be able to responds to childs right to sleep when the child wants to.

B.) How will you discuss this with parents?

As someone who has ethical responsibility to listen to parents requests I will tell them that I will do my best to keep the child busy during the day so she will not fall asleep.

4. You have forgotten to send two of the children for their transition visit and the team leader from the next room has told the other educators you are incompetent.

Question:

A.) What workplace policy will help you in this situation?
Grievance Policy of the centre will help her in this situation.

Pls help me because I'm not sure with my answers:(

Lorina

Re: Aman

Post by Lorina » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:18 pm

How will you discuss this with parents?

Even though you may have an ethical responsibility to the parents, you also have to take in the consideration of the child... The child is falling asleep and when this happens you have a duty of care towards the child to provide them with an opportunity to rest when they need it. When a child is tired they should be given an opportunity to rest regardless of what parents say. Parents should come earlier to pick the child up or the child should be given an opportunity to rest...

The rest of your responses are fine! :thumbup:

:geek:,
Lorina

Daye
Helper
Helper

Re: Scenarios On Ethical Practices

Post by Daye » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:19 pm

Thank you Lorina.:):)

SUGIRTHA1

Post by SUGIRTHA1 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:40 am

"Jake regularly wet his pants during the day. In the past you have seen Jake reprimanded and reduced tears by his father for wetting pants. Jake wet his pants twice today and is being picked by his father".

is this an ethical or a legal dilemma? why you chose ethical or legal.
How would you respond to the situation? why you responded to the way you did?

SUGIRTHA1

Post by SUGIRTHA1 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:20 pm

This is an ethical dilemma. The scenario is related with the moral imperatives of the child. The approach of his father compelled Jake to act in the way to wet his pants.