Scenario: Liam - WHS Accident

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
minanaderi2010

Scenario: Liam - WHS Accident

Post by minanaderi2010 » Sat May 30, 2015 4:38 am

It is October 20th this year at 4:30 pm and most of the children have gone home. The room leader has asked Liam (Trainee) to create a display of the children’s art work in the foyer. There are two display boards situated in the corridor leading to the playroom. Although Liam is quite tall he will still need to use the small step ladder to reach the top of the display board.
Liam decides on the arrangement of the artwork and then gets the step ladder. Liam completes one display board and pleased with his work moves on to the other one. Liam is about half way through the second display when he notices that several paintings have similar patterns. Liam decides to display these paintings together. To do this he needs to rearrange some of the paintings on the other board. Instead of moving the ladder as required by the children services procedures, Liam decides to instead try to reach across. As he does so he overbalances and falls backwards onto the floor. Liam lands heavily, winding himself and hitting his head on the tiled floor.
Just as Liam falls, Nanji, the room leader comes through the door. She quickly realises Liam is winded and tries to keep him calm. Nanji calls out for assistance but the other staff are with the children or can’t hear her. Nanji stays with Liam for five minutes until his breathing steadies and then goes for help.
Nanji tells Ellie who’s in the kitchen to call an ambulance and telephone Liam’s emergency contact. Nanji quickly returns with a cold pack for Liam’s head and covers him with a nearby blanket. Nanji accompanies Liam to the Local Sunnyside Hospital, where they are met by Liam’s mother.
At 5:10pm after the ambulance leaves Ellie telephones the centre Director to report the accident. The Director notifies the employer and insurance company immediately. On her return Nanji completes the Accident Report.
Liam is released from the hospital after several hours of observation. He has jarred and bruised his back, twisted his ankle and suffered a mild concussion. Liam is not able to return to work for two weeks.
The following day the Director copied the WHS Injury Register, distributed the report to the Employer, and completed the required documentation for the Insurance Company. After a discussion with Nanji about the incident it was decided that Liam should undergo further WHS training.

Last line of the sample form has asked 'Report completed by', and 2 lines above asked about 'Follow-up report completed by', It is not clear for me. Are there two different people who filled this sample form? Could you please advise me? Thank you.

my answer:Follow-up report completed by:Nanji
Report complete d by: I don`t have any idea

please guide me!

minanaderi2010

Re: WORKBOOK1,UNIT4,003,Q1(C)

Post by minanaderi2010 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:28 am

Dear Lorina can you guide me about this coeastion! Realy i dont have any idea about this :(

Lorina

Re: Scenario: Liam - WHS Accident

Post by Lorina » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:19 am

The report would probably be completed by Nanji and the follow up by the Director since the Director spoke to Nanji about the accident and they both agreed that Liam needs more training. Therefore the follow up is completed by the Director.

:geek:,
Lorina

Lissa Candy

Post by Lissa Candy » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:37 pm

Dear Lorina. Can you help me with same scenario but the question is "Explain how responsibilities in relation to WHS were breached"
I understand that Liam didn't follow what the room leader ask him to do,that's why he falls backwards onto the floor.
What else I can say?Thanks

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:57 pm

Instead of moving the ladder as required by the children services procedures, Liam decides to instead try to reach across. As he does so he overbalances and falls backwards onto the floor. Liam lands heavily, winding himself and hitting his head on the tiled floor.

Maybe something like - in relation to WHS Liam should be aware of the WHS policies within the centre. If he knew this could have been avoided as he would have known to move the ladder rather than reach across...

Hope this helps,

Lorina

Mughal

Post by Mughal » Wed May 04, 2016 11:01 am

Hi Lorina

Mughal

Post by Mughal » Wed May 04, 2016 11:10 am

Hi Lorina

Am doing the same question now and have to fill in the accident form

Name of person reporting : Nanji
Decsription of Incident : Liam falls as she tried to move across rather than using ladder.

(Should I start here )
Or directly right that room leader was with her till breathing occurred smoothly call ambulance
Applied ice pack and covered in blanket also accompanied till hospital

Any contributing factors/hazard: (Dnt know what to write here)
Please help me here

Decsription of injury : Accidentally fall off by putting painting

This report relate to : Accident

Decribe first Aid Admisitered : Ice pack was applied
covered with blanket
breathing was checked
ambulance was called

Actions need to be taken time frame and person responsible

1. Training of Liam for for whs training ( Time frame ) dnt know what to write person responsible : supervisor

Can you gv me more ideas over here plzz need to submit tomorrow

Follow up report : By employer

Copy of report to : employer as well as whs resister and whs insurance
report completed by Naji position : room leader

ksengar
Participator
Participator

Post by ksengar » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:30 am

Can you help me with the same scenario but the question is while filling the follow-up form
1. how to answer what action needs to be taken, timeframe and person responsible.
2. and the follow-up report completed by whom?
thanks in advance.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:08 pm

So for action that needs to be taken, besides filling in the incident report, Liam needs to informed of the correct Workplace Health and Safety procedures in the workplace.

Does this make sense?

Lorina

ksengar
Participator
Participator

Post by ksengar » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:42 pm

and the timeframe for the procedures.
and the person responsible for this action.
Thanks

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:30 pm

I’m not sure the time frame - filling in the incident report will be asap - a fortnight to give Liam info on correct WHS Saftey etc. - person responsible for writing the incident form will be the one who witnessed it and the Director...

Lorina

ksengar
Participator
Participator

Post by ksengar » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:56 pm

thanks alot

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:20 am

You're welcome!

Lorina

Roscilin

Post by Roscilin » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:49 pm

Hi Lorena
Can you plz help me with this question
How responsibility in relation to WHS were breached?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:49 pm

Roscilin wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:49 pm
Hi Lorena
Can you plz help me with this question
How responsibility in relation to WHS were breached?

Is this a general question or in regards to Liam scenario? What do you think?

Lorina

Roscilin

Post by Roscilin » Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:10 pm

This is regarding Liam Scenario.
Thanks for your immediate reply

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:12 am

In the scenario it states "Instead of moving the ladder as required by the children services procedures, Liam decides to instead try to reach across. As he does so he overbalances and falls backwards onto the floor. Liam lands heavily, winding himself and hitting his head on the tiled floor".

So, Liam basically didn't move the ladder as necessary.

Lorina