NEED HELP ON SOCIO-CULTURAL CONTEXT

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
c_brown89

NEED HELP ON SOCIO-CULTURAL CONTEXT

Post by c_brown89 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:42 pm

HI EVERYONE I WAS WONDERING IF YOU COULD HELP ME OUT I CANT FIND THE MEANING OF SOCIO CULTURAL CONTEXT AND AN EXAMPLE.I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE COULD HELP ME OUT PLEASE ITS DOING MY HEAD IN :)
TIA

Lorina

Re: NEED HELP ON SOCIO-CULTURAL CONTEXT

Post by Lorina » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:35 pm

Hey Cassie,

Found some info which should help you out for this question...

Socio-cultural context
Socio-cultural context refers to the idea that language, rather than existing in isolation, is closely linked to the culture and society in which it is used. This means when language is learnt, the socio-cultural context in which it is used needs to be taken into consideration as well.

Example
Learners are looking at the language of advertisements. In order to do this effectively, they need to understand the culture in which the adverts function.

In the classroom
Activities that can raise awareness of socio-cultural context include using stories, analysing newspaper headlines, and looking at slang and idiomatic language.

Hope this helps,

Cheers :geek:.
L.A

c_brown89

Re: NEED HELP ON SOCIO-CULTURAL CONTEXT

Post by c_brown89 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:39 pm

hi thanks for that really appreciate it. i even understand it a bit better. :)