Increase Participation Of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
mjane
Helper
Helper

Increase Participation Of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders

Post by mjane » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:28 am

Hello,

After some advice please, if someone can help

I'm unsure if I am answering the question correctly

Identify strategies that will increase participation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in the centre's service delivery by addressing cultural realities

Increasing participation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people through encouragement to join in and share activities in relation to their culture e.g. sharing knowledge, art work, excursions, sharing special stories/books/photographs, food etc.

Thank you so much =)

Lorina

Re: Increase Participation Of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:46 pm

I think this questions refers to being culturally aware of the history, customs, practices etc, and using this knowledge to support service delivery to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community. For example:
Acknowledgement of land and original custodians and Welcome to Country
When organising a meeting, event or conference, it is respectful and good practice to acknowledge the land in which you are meeting and its original custodians.

More information on the above (page 14) can be found in the following:

Working With Aboriginal People

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina

mjane
Helper
Helper

Post by mjane » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:33 pm

HI Lorina,

Thank you for your reply!

I am a little confused as I have three questions one after the other, they seem similar
I have answered them, which I am guessing is prob incorrect

Sorry these questions are in relation to Aboriginals that have moved to the area, approached the centre, they did not return as they felt the service was culturally unsafe from their perspective

I'm not sure if I'm over thinking, it's confusing me

QB.Identify strategies that will increase participation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in the centre's service delivery by addressing cultural realities

My Answer. Increasing participation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people through encouragement to join in and share activities in relation to their culture e.g. sharing knowledge, art work, excursions, sharing special stories/books/photographs, food etc.

QC. Address cultural realities in order to facilitate full participation in service delivery by Aboriginal and/or Torres Straight Islander clients and/or co-workers.

My answer. Cultural realities can be addressed in order to facilitate full participation by having cultural awareness re: history and practices, showing/giving full support to the service delivery of Aboriginals and Torres Strait Islanders

QQ. What strategies can be implemented to address these cultural realities

My answer. Strategies that can be implemented to address these cultural realities: giving respect and acknowledgement (delivered at start) to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people when meetings, conferences or community gathering are being held - acknowledging land (in which we meet), original custodians, respect to elders past and present.

Thank you for your help

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:07 pm

QB.Identify strategies that will increase participation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in the centre's service delivery by addressing cultural realities

For this question you need to add more information since it's asking about "strategies" you could implement. What you have added is good for your examples but I think you just need to add it in point form and extend on it more...

QQ. What strategies can be implemented to address these cultural realities

You're on the right track with you response... as I said above add points and extend on it.

Use the information I added in the posts above and you could also use this:

Working and Walking Together

:geek:,
Lorina