Ensure the health and safety of children

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Participator
Participator

Ensure the health and safety of children

Post by Newbie » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:06 pm

Hi :) I was wondering if I could receive some feedback as I am not sure I have answered all questions properly. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Case Study 3
Caden has been absent for a few days. When he returns to care his mum, Angie, tells you that he is recovering from an ear infection and that he needs to take antibiotics twice a day and have ear drops administered every 4 hours.
She provides a medical certificate stating Caden is well enough to return to care and a letter from his Doctor detailing the medication he has to take. You will need to give Caden the antibiotics at 5.00pm as his mother does not collect him until 5.30pm and also the ear drops at 11.00am and 3.00pm.

MY ANSWER

1. Summarise what you need to do to ensure the medication can be administered to Caden whilst in care. Ensure your answer is in accordance with best practice outline in the latest edition of Staying Healthy: Preventing infectious diseases in early childhood education and care services.
Ensure that a medication record is developed for each child requiring medication at the childcare service and have authorisation to administer medication signed by the parent/guardian named on the enrolment form as authorised to consent to the administration of medication.
We must ensure the medication is not administered to a child being educated and cared for by the service unless:
- With the original label clearly showing the name of the child
- From the original container
- Before the expiry/ used by date.
- Ensure written and verbal notifications are given to a parent or other family member of a child as soon as practicable.
- Take reasonable steps to ensure that medication records are maintained accurately
- Ensure that educators receive information about the medical and medication policies during their induction.
Due to the number of times Caden will need his ear drops administered and the medication at 5:00 I will need to advice others and possibly set a reminder, so that it is not forgotten. I will then need to update the records.

MY ANSWER
Jackson, aged 4, at the moment is refusing to wash his hands before eating. He attends care 5 days each week and has protested to washing his hands for the last 3 days. He seems adamant he does not need to wash his hands and that they are clean.

It is important for Jackson to understand that he needs to wash his hands as they have germs on them from playing and that when he puts his dirty hands on the food to eat then it will go into his stomach causing him to be sick.
- We could implement a general group discussion on germs, how they spread and how to fight them. For example sing songs on safe hygiene practises.
- We can work with Jackson and all other children in making a poster to show the steps and importance of washing our hands
- We can make washing our hands fun, by using fun-looking soap pumps or brightly coloured little soaps, maybe in fun character shapes that are just for them.
- Model good hand washing behaviour
- Come up with a song that the children can sing while they wash their hands to make it more enjoyable.
Inform Jackson that all the other children and adults have to wash their hands before food and after they have been to the bathroom.

Case study 5
Banjo is a 2 ½ year old who attends care three days each week. He is becoming increasingly harder to settle after lunch for his sleep.
His mother, Kate, has stated he does not always have a day sleep at home, and that typically he is asleep by 7pm. He sleeps 12 – 13 hours each night.
You have observed during the day Banjo does not tend to display tired signs or cues.

1. How can you ensure sleep and rest practices meet Banjo’s individual needs?
MY ANSWER: Banjo does not need to sleep as he does so during the night, therefore Banjo should be shown a quiet place to do activities so he does not disturb other children.

2. How could information be shared with his parents about his daily rest or sleep at the service?

MY ANSWER: Reports can be given to the parents indicating he is not sleeping during the day but playing activities quietly instead.

Case study 7
Jett, aged 9 months, has arrived at care for the last 5 days wearing a hooded jacket or jumper due to the cooler weather.
Policies and procedures in place at the service ask that this type of clothing be avoided, in particular for young children who have a sleep or rest when at the service for safety reasons.

1. Outline the points you should discuss with Jett’s parents to ensure Jett is dressed appropriately and in accordance with the service’s clothing and/or sleep and rest policies and procedures in place. Ensure you state the potential hazards and risks that Jett could be faced with when wearing a hoodie at childcare.

MY ANSWER
Children have died or suffered serious injuries from entangling themselves on drawstrings on their clothing. It is important for parents and carers to take extreme care when buying clothing for children to minimise the risk of injury and death. The drawstrings on clothing can often catch in small spaces or caps causing strangulation or laceration of the child. Hooded clothing should be avoided as it is a possible suffocation risk and strangulation even without the strings the hood may get caught while climbing on outdoor equipment and cause a great deal of damage to the child. I would bring up these points with Jett’s parents and remind them on the services policies and procedures.

The last two questions I am having the most trouble with, could you help me with some feedback on my answers?

Thank you.