Different Types Of Family Groupings

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
TJ246

Different Types Of Family Groupings

Post by TJ246 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:58 pm

HI
So I'm having troubles with one of my questions! And i have no idea where to start on this one as i am not sure what i am looking at.
Question:
Explain at least 5 different family groupings that are common in Australia?

List 5 examples of how child rearing practices may vary. <This one i i think would be how it varies culture to culture?
Any help would be amazing
THANK YOU

Lorina

Re: Different Types Of Family Groupings

Post by Lorina » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:36 pm

I found this:
Many different types of groups exist in today’s world. Every religion, culture, beliefs, teams are groups. The most common, sacred and oldest group of them all is “The Family”. Families are found everywhere in the world and are known everywhere in the world from Christian to Islamic beliefs.

Families have several different types. The five main types of families are nuclear families, extended families, single-parent families, reconstituted families and childless families.

The nuclear family

The nuclear family is the most basic type of family portrayed by media as a happy family living in total harmony. This is the family that God first envisioned. It consists of two parents living with “one or more children in the same house”. Nuclear families are not only basic but, very common in The Bahamas. One child living with two parents is also common. Some may refer to the child as an ‘only child’ (no siblings). A nuclear family is seen as an ‘ideal family’ many advertisers use nuclear families to symbolize many things in the media. You will always see two parents hugging one or more of their children, all smiling. They may be seen anywhere. For example this may be seen in newspapers, television, newspapers, etc.

Extended or (Joint Families)

These may be seen as a contrast to nuclear families and are seen as pretty basic as well. An extended family is several generations of the same family living in the same household or in near vicinity or neighborhood. Extended Families may include aunts, uncles, grandparents, parents, grandchildren, children, etc. Extended families are seen as a little more closely knit than other types of families. This may be because of their wants to be near each other or live under the same roof. Some may see this as signs of showing care, love and compassion for their family members. Extended families are common in “countries like Mexico, India and Africa”.

Single-parent families

Single-parent families have the same definition as their name, one parent living with one or more children. They must basically bring up their children themselves, considering they have no spouse. Many factors can provoke the creation of single-parent families, including a death of a spouse, divorce between the two spouses, etc. It is said that children living with one parent may be a little off balance as opposed to children living with both parents. No father for a son or mother for a daughter may have side effects on the children’s morale, behavior and possibly health. The single mother or father will be forced to work ‘long hours’ to provide, causing them to ‘miss out’ on quality time with their children. Even the long hours may cause financial problems in the family, not only stressing the mother but consequently affecting the children. Divorced spouses often let their children visit both parents; this may help the children’s morale.

Reconstituted family

A reconstituted family is when two previously married spouses begin a relationship and get married. However it can only be referred to as ‘reconstituted’ if the spouses had children in their “previous marital relations”. The spouses’ spouse then becomes that spouse’s step-children. For example, if Bob married Jane; Jane’s children would be Bob’s ‘step-children’ and he their ‘step-father’. In contrast Bob’s children would be Jane’s step-children and she their ‘step-mother’.

Childless families

Childless families are a little different than the other four families. Nuclear, extended, reconstituted and single parent families all had to involve children to be named what they are. However, a childless family is just what it it’s called, a family with no child. This is two parents living without a child. They may not be able to have children or choose not to. Childless families tend to have better financial situations than families who have children. Most female athletes tend to not have children because of their career and traveling businessmen or women decide that they don’t want their hands caught up with children. Whatever be the case, the couple does not have any children. Some childless couples who may have wanted families may have replaced their child with a pet, “To replace children, childless families usually have pets instead”.

Ref: Types of Families

Hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina

TJ246

Post by TJ246 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:05 am

Oh wow Thank you so much!!!!!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:31 pm

You're welcome!