Describe the term"keyword of meaning"

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
KPL

Describe the term"keyword of meaning"

Post by KPL » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:48 pm

Hi everyone,

I would really appreciate it if someone could clearly explain the term "keyword of meaning" to me..

the way I understand it is...keyword of meaning as been words of special interest of children. they are actions or objects that are part of a childs every day life.they can been made up words or words that are easy for the child to say...so bottle may become bot bot....given their age and stage of development..

I am on the right track or completetly heading somewhere different.

If anyone can put the meaning in laymen terms I would be very grateful.

Cheers kpl :)

Lorina

Re: Describe the term"keyword of meaning"

Post by Lorina » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:05 pm

Hi KPL,

Just a heads up... this question has already been answered on this forum in a different topic. Here is the link:

http://www.aussiechildcarenetwork.com/v ... f=35&t=301

I read your definition and I understand where you are coming from... you make a valid point. I'm not 100% sure if I am right about the response I gave in the above post. However, have a read through it and see if it makes any sense.

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

little yellow
Participator
Participator

Post by little yellow » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:16 pm

hmmm I wonder if KPL was doing the same course questions as me! I love this website!

Irelandcc

Post by Irelandcc » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:18 pm

All children use words that have particular meanings in their family culture—for example, words which may come from their home language (a language other than English) or words that are used by the individual child or family to express their needs.
These are the words that are important in making sure children feel secure that their needs will be met consistently by the adults who are caring for them away from their home environment. You need to be aware of what these words are and their significance to the child.
Imagine that you are in a situation where no one understands that you need to go to the toilet—the words you use do not seem to mean anything to those around you.
Now imagine that you are a toddler who has only recently developed your toileting skills. You need the toilet—now!
You are not sure where the toilet is or you know that you will not be able to get your pants down by yourself. At home, your family recognises your body language which tells them when you need to go and because they know you so well they understand approximate times when this will happen. They also understand your attempts to use language to express your needs even though this usually comes out as sounding like ‘to-ta’. Does this give you any ideas about why it is important for carers to understand and use key words of meaning with children?