Dealing with Child's Gay Parents

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
jsmd

Dealing with Child's Gay Parents

Post by jsmd » Sun May 22, 2011 4:14 pm

Brad and David are two new parents at your centre . thier son Kyle is setting in well and is happy and content in the environment.A small number of parents are a bit uncomfortable with two dads and seem to ignore them when they are at the centre. the same parents are a little wary of Kyle as well. the staff are concerned that these inappropriate attitudes will grow if they do not act to dispel this discrimination

what can staff do ?

what stratrgies could they implement to eliment anti bias behaviors?

ow can the staff at the centre support Brad and David as well as the other parents at the centre ?

Lorina

Re: Dealing with Child's Gay Parents

Post by Lorina » Mon May 23, 2011 7:11 pm

Hi Jsmd,

Here are some ideas in relation to your assignment question.

In all my time working in childcare I have never had a chance to collaborate with a same-sex couple. However when reading through the question you posted I thought I would share some ideas on what I would do if I was in this situation.

what can staff do ?

Just treat the child and both his parents the same as everyone else. Smile, say hello, show respect, talk about their child's day. They should get to know both the parents like they know all the other parents. We live in such a diverse society I don't see why this should be an issue... honestly.

what stratrgies could they implement to eliment anti bias behaviors?

Being biased in my opinion comes into play when I believe you haven't been well informed. Talk to the children about it, allow them to ask questions and be ready to reply to their answers. Read a story about a same sex couple (I'm sure they got children's books about it). Display posters of same sex couple. However don't go overboard. Just because a new parent has arrived and they happen to be in a same sex relationship we shouldn't be sticking up posters about it everywhere...

How can the staff at the centre support Brad and David as well as the other parents at the centre ?

Introduce parents at the centre to Brad and David. Talk about who their child plays with and introduce them to those parents. Have a wine and cheese night to allow parents and staff to mingle.

I hope this helps you out!

:geek:,
L.A

jsmd

Re: Dealing with Child's Gay Parents

Post by jsmd » Mon May 23, 2011 8:00 pm

thank you so much