CHCIC302A - Support Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Families

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
bec2111

CHCIC302A - Support Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Families

Post by bec2111 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:17 pm

Scenario: Ashley aged 4 and her brother Braiden aged 2 are starting at your service today. Ashley's family have just moved into the area as her dad has a job nearby. Ashley & Braiden's family identify as Aboriginal and there are no Aboriginal families in the service.

1) describe 2 way you could promote respect and understanding of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander language and culture within the service environment

2) list information from the scenario that you would use to help Ashley and Braiden to settle in at the service?

3) describe 2 specific strategies you would use to help Ashley and Braiden and their family transition into care and reassure them during the 'settling-in' period
Last edited by admin on Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed Typo in Heading

Lorina

Re: CHCIC302A - Support Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Families

Post by Lorina » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:15 pm

Hey Bec,

I have some information that I'd like to share with you to help you out with your assignment :thumbup: ...

1) describe 2 way you could promote respect and understanding of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander language and culture within the service environment

- Make available Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander learning materials, story books, toys and puzzles.

- Display posters and materials with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander themes, images and languages.

2) list information from the scenario that you would use to help Ashley and Braiden to settle in at the service?

- Reassure them that daddy is nearby working.

- Talk about the area, the new house they moved to.

- Provide opportunities for Ashley and Braiden to both visit each other in their room throughout the day.

- Display Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artwork.

describe 2 specific strategies you would use to help Ashley and Braiden and their family transition into care and reassure them during the 'settling-in' period

- Ask them to bring a special book/story (a dreamtime story) that they could share with the children during group time. This will help both Ashley and Braiden getting use to the environment and show that you as a carer and the other children in the group are welcoming and accepting.

- Create aboriginal art with the group of children. Talk about the specific colours that are used. Ashley may begin to share her experiences and what she understands of her culture. You should also read stories and share books because I'm sure the children in the group will have lots of questions and respectfully you should answer them.

- Let the parents know that they are able to ring as may times during the day to see how Ashley and Braiden are going.

- Show photos of the children's day, give a copy of the daily diary for the parents to read about what the children did during the day.

Please note: I understand that this is your first post but next time I would really appreciate it if you give us your understanding and your response to the questions. Normally for scenario based questions, just put yourself in the situation and write down what you would do. Also, would you be able to tell me the module number for this assignment so I can edit the topic heading.

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

bec2111

Post by bec2111 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:03 am

sorry the module number for this assignment is CHCIC302A

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:10 am

by bec2111 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:03 am

sorry the module number for this assignment is CHCIC302A

Thank you bec...I will update this topic heading with the module number.

bec2111

Post by bec2111 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:22 am

thanks