CHCIC301D-teachable moments

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
janAiken
Participator
Participator

CHCIC301D-teachable moments

Post by janAiken » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:00 am

Hi,guys any ideas how to answer the following scenario?i really need help with this one.

Read through the following teachable moments and decide how you would respond.

1.Casey(aged 3) ask why arthur(aborigine)has a dirty skin
2.Meggie(age 6)states that alicia(who has a physical impairment)cannot play in her basketball team as she is too slow.
3.Kailan(aged 4)asks why jonathan(who comes same sex parented family)does not have father.

thanksxx

janAiken
Participator
Participator

Re: CHCIC301D-teachable moments

Post by janAiken » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:09 pm

in scenario no.1 i was thinking to tell him about people differences like colors,cuture etc.
in scenario no.2 i was thinking to tell her about what she can do eventhough she has physical impairment
in scenario 3:im not really sure how to answer this one..any idea guys?

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:36 pm

hi tonie- I think you are on the right track. all of the examples in the question provide an opportunity to discuss diversity with the children. In each instance, there is an opportunity to talk about the aspects that make us different yet the same. for the same-sex parent family, it could be something along the lines of " families come in all shapes and sizes. some people have one parent. some have two mums or two dads. some children live with their grandma or grandpa. a family is a group of people who love you and take care of you. they come in all shapes and sizes, just like we do !" I think the question just wants you to show you understand how to teach the ideas of diversity to children through illustrating these aspects. hope this helps!

janAiken
Participator
Participator

Post by janAiken » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:15 am

hi dulciean,
thank you so much for the input :D

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:23 pm

Hi janAiken,

wow....good scenarios..I can actually imagine a child asking these questions..At first, they sound really hard if you are wondering how would you answer these to a child but your answers seems to be on the right track. The 3rd scenario may seem to be a little tricky..

I think the question just wants you to show you understand how to teach the ideas of diversity to children through illustrating these aspects.

Spot on! I totally agree with dulciean. You just need to show your understanding in these:

Scenario no.1: Talking to kids about Race, Skin colour, culture, etc..

Scenario no.2: is about Disability Awareness and talking to kids about Disabilities.

Scenario no.3: is talking about diversity of families. This includes same-sex parents, adoption, etc..

janAiken
Participator
Participator

Post by janAiken » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:25 pm

catchmeifucan,
thank you,,im glad you agree and ifinally i did finished this one today. :thumbup:

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:37 am

Hi janAiken, no worries...its a good feeling when you finish an assignment isint it.. :thumbup: