CHCECE003 Provide care for children

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Participator
Participator

CHCECE003 Provide care for children

Post by Newbie » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:20 pm

Hey all :) I was wondering if someone could assist me in my assignment, I've included my attempt at responses, any feedback would be appreciated. I'm really having trouble :(

Case Study 1
Rebecca is a four-year-old child who is about to enrol in the pre-school room. She has a physical condition known as an ‘imperforate anus’. Imperforate anus is when there is no opening at the end of the digestive track where the anus normally is. This condition affects about 1 in every 5000 babies, and is a defect that occurs during the fifth to seventh weeks of fatal development. As a consequence, Rebecca experiences trouble with bowel control and continuously leaks fluid from her anus that can be quite strong smelling.
She has attended the service twice with her parents as part of the service’s orientation process and has spent time in the room with the other children. She has had bowel accidents on both occasions, which has been noticed and commented on by the other children. With one child saying ‘Does the smelly girl have to be in our room?’ This was asked in front of both Rebecca and her parents.

4. Identify the policies and procedures, under the National Quality Framework, an education and care service must have in place that will help guide your actions in this situation.
MY ANSWER::

Regulation 168 2 dealing with medical conditions in children, providing a child safe environment and interacts with children (including the matters set out in regulations 155 and 156)
National Regulations: Regulations 90 – 91:
An approved service must have a policy for managing medical
conditions, which set out practises in relation to:
- Managing medical conditions
- When a child enrolles with a specific health need, allergy or relevant condition, procedures requiring parents to provide a medical management plan.
- Requiring the development of a communications plan for staff members and parents
- Requiring the development of a risk minimisation plan in consulting with the child’s parents.

2. Identify which sections of the Regulations and National Quality Standard could be referred to when explaining your responsibilities to children with regards to sun safety.
MY ANSWER
114 Outdoor space—shade
Education and Care Services National Law Act 2010 Section 167 Protection from harm and hazards. Education and Care Services National Regulations 2011:
Reg 100 Risk assessment for excursions
Reg 113 Outdoor space: natural environment
Reg 114 Outdoor space: shade
Reg 168 (2)(a)(ii) Policies and procedures: Sun protection.
An approved provider of a centre-based service must ensure that outdoor spaces provided at the education and care service premises include adequate shaded areas to protect children from overexposure to ultraviolet radiation from the sun

Case Study 3
You have recently commenced work in the two to three-year-old room at an early childhood education and care service. This service provides progressive meal times so that children can choose to eat when they are hungry, rather than according to a timetable. As part of this mealtime procedure, educators simply place food on a table and move away from the area. Children approach the table at their own leisure when they notice the snack or meal has been served. However you notice at times, not all children eat throughout the day, and they are not encouraged to eat by the educators.
You also notice during mealtimes educators stand to one side discussing personal matters until the children have finished eating. Yesterday, a two-year-old choked on a piece of meat and you were the only educator in the room who noticed.
1. Which part of the Regulations is being breached?
MY ANSWER:
Quality area 2 Children's health and safety
Standard 2.3 Each child is protected.
Element 2.3.1 Children are adequately supervised at all times.
Element 2.3.2 Every reasonable precaution is taken to protect children from harm and any hazard likely to cause injury.
Element 2.3.3 Plans to effectively manage incidents and emergencies are developed in consultation with relevant authorities, practised and implemented.
Element 2.3.4 Educators, co-ordinators and staff members are aware of their roles and responsibilities to respond to every child at risk of abuse or neglect.
or
79 Service providing food and beverages of the Regulations
78 Food and beverages
(1) The approved provider of an education and care service must ensure that children being educated and cared for by the service—
(a) have access to safe drinking water at all times; and
(b) are offered food and beverages appropriate to the needs of each child on a regular basis throughout the day.

Case Study 5
Josh is four and a half years old and lives in an apartment. You have noticed that Josh does not actively involve himself in ball games that his peers are playing during outdoor play. During discussions with Josh’s mother, she tells you that Josh does not get to play outdoors much because both his parents work long hours and he is with an elderly grandparent during the weekend. You set up an activity with balls and hoops and encourage Josh to participate in the game. He attempts to kick the ball twice but misses both times. Josh’s peers laugh at him which causes Josh to pick up a ball and throw it at his peers. He yells at them to ‘go away’, bursts into tears and runs away. Josh’s peers yell back that ‘he is a cry baby’ and then they continue with the game.
MY ANSWER
4. Outline how you can embed physical experiences in a daily program to improve gross motor skills of all children. Refer to the National Physical Activity Guidelines for Australians and the Get up and Grow: Healthy eating and physical activity for early childhood resources to ensure that you are meeting all the necessary requirements.

Physical activity for children – 0-1 floor based supervision; less than 2 years of age children shall be inhibited to watch television or use electronic media.

Case Study 6
Sparked by some comments that the children had made earlier in the year about their outdoor environment being ‘boring’ and that there was ‘nothing to do’, you had a critical look at the service’s outdoor play area and decided that the children were right. Everything was artificial and plastic. So, in consultation with the children and families, you embark on a project to improve your outdoor environment. Once finished, your play area will have a ‘fairy garden’ complete with bridge, a wooden jetty and boat, as well as a dry river bed for the children to play in. A week after your environment ‘makeover’ is finished, a few families (who gave no input in the planning phase), approach you to express concern about how dangerous they feel the new features are, and that they would like you to remove them before a serious accident occurs.
MY ANSWER
1. What would be the most constructive way to respond to these families’ concerns?
- I would listen to the parents and then let them know that the play area is up to child care standards and that the kids will always be supervised whilst outside. I would show them the area, let them walk around and see for themselves up close.
- I would let them know with this new play area it give the kids more advance play areas where they need to use their minds to play.
- If they were still uneasy about the area I would get someone to come out and have a look at the new area to make sure that it is up to standards.
- Show the parents that the environment is safe for children and when children play outdoor they will be supervised.

THANK YOUUU