CHCCHILD401A Identify and respond to children and young people at risk of harm: Duty of care

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
annejo
Participator
Participator

CHCCHILD401A Identify and respond to children and young people at risk of harm: Duty of care

Post by annejo » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:27 pm

I have a Question and I know what it means but I am having trouble putting a defination of it into words
What does Duty of Care mean when working with children,young people and families.
I know it is an legal and moral obligation for any adult working with children have to provide a reasonable standard of care.
I dont like the way i have worded this can anyone help with the wording.
I would be grateful. Thankyou

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: CHCCHILD401A Identify and respond to children and young people at risk of harm

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:49 pm

Taken from http://www.dpc.nsw.gov.au/__data/.../CH ... _Guide.pdf
Duty of care applies to a range of situations and can be briefly described as the obligation that a sensible person would have in the circumstances when acting toward others and the public. It is important to see duty of care not only as steps taking to avoid litigation, but as a framework for good practice.
2. Explain that there is a high degree of care owed to children because of their vulnerability.
Keep Them Safe CHCCHILD401A – Facilitator’s Manual 18
© The NSW Technical and Further Education Commission (TAFE NSW – Industry Skills Unit, Meadowbank, 2010)
Handout 5: Maintaining professional boundaries.
Handout
6: Duty of care when working with children, young people and
families
Ask:
‘What factors do you need to consider in order to ensure that you fulfill your duty of care to children and young people you have contact with through your work?’
3. Ensure that the following points are covered:
␣ Accessing current information about clients
␣ Maintaining knowledge and skills
␣ Complying with policies and procedures
␣ Responding when you identify children at risk of harm, including making reports of risk of significant harm
␣ Reporting allegations against employees in relation to child safety
␣ Working within your role and expertise
␣ Maintain a safe work environment, recognising and responding to the risks associated with transport, activities out of the home, and situations where parents are not present to supervise a child or young person
␣ Recognising the need for team work within and between agencies

Hope this helps

annejo
Participator
Participator

Re: CHCCHILD401A Identify and respond to children and young people at risk of harm

Post by annejo » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:38 pm

Thank you for your help. I tried to click on the suggested website www.dpc.nsw.gov.au but it is saying not found

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:38 pm

hmm just google Duty of Care mean when working with children,young people and families and get pages from Australia and the link should be there however I pretty much copy/pasted the entire section for you

annejo
Participator
Participator

Post by annejo » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:27 pm

Thank you for all your help

jaismum

Post by jaismum » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:54 am

I have a question too!
where a family is under stress and child's behavior or development may contribute to the likelihood of abuse. what are some examples of the behaviour or development factors that may place a child at risk? not sure what this means? can anyone help me?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:57 pm

Hi kath,

This has been answered before in our forum. Here is the link: http://www.aussiechildcarenetwork.com/v ... f=35&t=278

Cheers :geek: ,
L.A