Bachelor of ECT vs Diploma

General discussions on topics related to Bachelor of Early Childhood studies.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Bachelor Degree in Early Childhood. Please refer to Bachelor Degree Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
MrsEgg

Bachelor of ECT vs Diploma

Post by MrsEgg » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:06 pm

Hi everyone,

I am considering to continue my education in childcare.

There are 2 options for me:

1. Bach. degree - which will take me around 2 years full-time as I've already possessed a degree qualification from another field. (Higher cost)

2. Diploma - 1.5 years to complete full-time. (Lower cost, slightly less time to complete and can work with babies and toddlers).

Relevant qualification in childcare:

Cert 3.

My consideration:

(A.) The different teaching style between Uni and Tafe:

1. Will I miss the practical aspect of the education if I just go and study the degree straight away?

2. Does the Master of Teaching focus a lot on research and the academic aspect?

(B.) Opportunities presented with the different qualification:

1. I am interested in working with older children, but also toddlers, I feel like if I have a Diploma, I am more likely to be in different rooms, which I would prefer to gain experiences.

I am hoping someone who has done both, which I believe a lot of you have :) can give me insights on this question :)

Thank you

Lorina

Re: Bachelor of ECT vs Diploma

Post by Lorina » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:21 am

It depends on what you want to do... as a Diploma qualification you can be a room leader in either the babies, toddler room. With an ECT you can be a preschool teacher as well as the ECT of the service and if you want to be a Director of a service in the future you can also do that as well... if you want to just be a room leader than a Diploma qualification is sufficient...

:geek:,
Lorina