Encourage baby to respond to familiar animals through this game.
- Stuffed animals OR animal figurines Or animal flashcards
- Animals books/magazines
What to do:
- Collect stuffed animals/animal figures or animal flashcards and animal books put them around your baby.
- Pick up a stuffed animal/figurine/flashcard and say “This is a tiger”.
- Pick up a book and say “Let’s find a tiger” .
- Turn the pages in the books and say “Is that a tiger?”, “Is this a tiger?”.
- When your baby points toward the tiger, responds either verbally or non verbally , say “We found a tiger”.
- Continue the same with a different animal.
Hints and Tips:
- Your baby may not respond to this activity but if you start looking through the animal books and begin naming the different animals; your baby will become interested.
- If your baby doesn't want to continue the game, then don't force them too. Try again another day.
- Once your baby can understand the different animal names, you can hide the stuffed animals around the room, point to the picture of the animal in the animal book and ask baby to find the stuffed animal.
- Start off with 3 different animals at the beginning and then add one new one each time.