Create your own sand pit for a great sensory expereince.
- An inflatable kid’s pool.
- Buckets / spades.
- Old pots, pans, spoons etc.
What to do:
- Inflate the kid’s pool and pour in enough sand to fill it about half (the bottom should be covered then add a little extra).
- Add buckets, spades, pots, pans and spoons to it.
- Sit baby in the sand pool and let them explore and manipulate the sand.
Hints and Tips:
- Babies love manipulating sand and this is a great set up to have at a party! You can even fit up to 6 babies inside (depending on the size of the kiddy pool).
- Sand can be bought at a local building supply store, however check online for bargains.
- Once you have filled your kiddy pool with sand, be sure to rake it thoroughly so there are no dangerous or sharp objects hidden inside.
- When you have finished using it, it’s important to keep it covered. You can use some plastic sheeting to do this. Otherwise you may get some unexpected animals using it as the loo.
- Change the items/objects in the sand pool to keep baby’s interest some items include: kitchen equipment, animal figurines, cars & trucks, rocks, shells, natural items (sticks, leaves, pine cones etc).
- Supervise baby as they may eat the sand or accidentally get sand in their eye. If sand gets into their eye, don’t panic just wash it out with water.