A colourful game which encourages an infant to grasp, reach and show excitement.
- A variety of colourful ribbons (length depends on the height from the ceiling to the floor)
- Blutak / masking tape
- Ceiling / covered area
- Tape measure to measure height from ceiling to floor.
- Pillows (for sitting support)
- Baby chair (optional)
- Ladder or step stool (to reach ceiling).
What to do:
- Hang colourful ribbons from the ceiling with Blutak (or) hold colourful ribbons in your hands. They should be long enough for baby to reach.
- Place baby in an upright position, support their sitting position by using pillows or sit baby in a bouncer/baby chair.
- Encourage your baby to try and reach then grasp the ribbons. Baby will also be encouraged to tilt their head back to look up.
- When holding the ribbons in your hand, as your baby reaches for it gently pull it higher.
- As baby reaches, say what colour they are trying to grasp. For example “You nearly got the red one”. This will extend on baby’s vocabulary.
- Add little bells at the end of the ribbons, as baby tries to grasp them, it will make a sound. Make sure they are secure.
- Next time when playing this game, place the baby on their tummy. As they will need to look up they will practice extending their arms out in front of them as well as pushing themselves up. A must for all babies.
Hints and Tips:
- Try hanging ribbons above your baby’s bed. When they are awake, they have something to play with. Make sure that the ribbons are secure and should be just out of reach. Your baby shouldn't be able to pull them down.
- Hang ribbons from a ceiling fan and watch them spin around.
- This game can also be used at a party. In one corner of a room place a blanket on the floor, with a variety of different coloured ribbons hanging from the ceiling. Parents can lay their baby on the blanket, so that they can play in Ribbon Mayhem.
- Use all different colours or select the same colours to use.