Encourage a child to help prepare meals while learning basic cooking skills.
- A plastic knife
- Pieces of food (raw carrot, potato, tomato, cucumber etc.)
- A vegetable peeler
- Cutting board
What to do:
- While in the kitchen preparing dinner get your child involved. Place a cutting board on the table along with a few pieces of food.
- Demonstrate to your child how they can use the peeler to peel the skin off the vegetables or how to cut the vegetables using a plastic knife.
- Talk to your child about the different textures and which vegetables or either hard or soft.
- Your child will love helping you out in the kitchen and best of all they will become more familiar with foods.
Hints and Tips:
- The more involved your child is in the kitchen the more likely they will eat or their food up.
- Buy your child their very own chopping board and make this a part of the cooking routine.
- Talk to your child about what you are doing while you are preparing the food and give them simple tasks to do.