Most of the children lose their calm easily and at the same time if we take necessary steps to cool and soothe them, they also tend to forget the incident at once. They just need a diversion at that particular moment and we also need to ensure that we divert their minds in a fruitful and beneficial way. We need to make them do something constructive such as this calming tray, apart from giving a soothing and relaxing effect proves to be a great sensory activity too.
- Epsom salt
- Lavender watercolour
- Tray or rather a glass dish
- Lavender essential oil
- Cookie cutters
- Large zipper seal bag
What To Do:
- Put the Epsom salt into the zipper bag.
- Pour in a few drops of lavender essential oil and liquid watercolour.
- Now seal the bag.
- Give it to the children and let them shake it vigorously so that everything gets mixed evenly.
- Once mixed, you can pour the salt into a tray.
- Now place the various tools you have besides the tray and ask children to enjoy, learn and play.
- They can use cookie cutters to trace the shapes in the Epsom salt.
- Also, you can press the moulds to get their imprints in the salt.
- Simply make the children use their fingers and make shapes or figures.
- They can do the same with chopsticks also.
Hints and Tips:
- All the ingredients we are using here provides a calming and soothing effect to the child’s mind.
- You can use some other colour in the salt too.
- The children can also make their toy vehicles ride on the Epsom salt.
- Playing with salt is similar to playing with sand.
- It proves to be an excellent fine motor activity.
- The kids develop their grasping skills through this play which helps them in their future with writing, drawing and other activities.
- Also, the children coordinate a lot between their hands and eyes as they play with the salt.