Water play is always engaging and soothing for kids. This particular play can be done when the spring is in the air. To start the activity, you could send the children to collect fallen flowers from the garden. Add water to a tub and put the flower petals inside. This experience appeals to all senses and will help soothe children if they tend to lose their calm, get bored, frustrated and agitated. This sensory play activity does wonders to children, right from learning about flowers to creating their own sensory water tub and then having some imaginative play.
- A large tub
- Some long spoons and ladles
What to do:
- Pour in water into the tub.
- Now separate the petals from the stem and add them to the water.
- After you are done with it, you can add on some glitter.
- Now you can place the tools beside the tub and ask the children to enjoy their sensory tub.
- Let them play with their hands into the water, catch the petals and feel them slip through their hands.
Hints and Tips:
- Make children do all the activities involved in preparing the sensory tub.
- Let them pluck the petals off the stem. This is a very good fine motor activity.
- Also, make them sprinkle the glitter. This involves minute finger movements which again is a great workout for the tiny fingers.
- If you wish you can colour the water but I would suggest keeping it plain to observe the colours of the petals.
- You could make the water colourful by getting colourful flowers.
- Let the children learn the names of the flowers through this activity.
- Let them also get the smell of these flowers.
- They could even engage in an imaginative play through this, as though they are cooking up some soup. Give them the ladles to pour out this floral soup in a bowl with the least spillage. This forms a balancing act.
- Another form of imaginative play would be a fishing activity. You don’t require many resources for this. Just use the stems of the flowers as fishing rods and fish out the petals from the water. You could also have a check on who gets maximum petals on the stem at one go.
Fantastic Fun and Leanring