This is a great introduction to get children into understanding the lifecycle of plants, how they grow and looking after them.
- Plastic cup/ small jar (one for each child)
- Potting soil
- Photo of each child's face to fit into the plastic cup/small jar
- Grass seeds to grow
What to do:
- Add each child's photo to the plastic cup and these can be kept in place by clear contact or double sided tape.
- Fill up the cup with potting soil.
- Add the grass seed to the top of the cup.
- Pat the seeds down into the soil.
- Water generously.
- Wait for seeds to grow.
Hints and Tips:
- You can use the following to grow: Mustard Seeds, Chives, Alfalfa, Peas, Lentils etc.
- Once the hair grows children can cut their "hair", tie them, make pig tails etc.
- Keep the cups on the shelves and involve children in watering them so the grass starts growing.
- You can use Basil, Mint or other herbs so the activity can be sensory as well helping in engaging children when the plant will be fully grown.
- The seeds don't need sunlight just a warm environment but once the germination starts it's better consider to move them in a more sunny place or they will stop growing.