Visually demonstrate how rinsing with water doesn't remove germs, soap is needed.
What to do:
- Add glitter to a bowl of water
- Let children dip their hands in the glittering water.
- The glitter that gets stuck to their hands is germs.
- Ask the children to wash their hands with water.
- They will notice that the glitter continues to stick to their hands.
- Give children some soap and ask them to wash their hands a second time, while counting to 20.
- Now the glitter will come off.
- The represents the germs coming off when thoroughly washing their hands, counting until 20 and using soap.
Hints and Tips:
- Give each child a small bowl with water and glitter that they can play.
- An effective way to visually demonstrate water doesn't remove germs, you need to use soap.
- Good for educators to use to show others as well.