Teach primary colours using this simple sorting activity.
- Colour flashcards.
- Assortment of Coloured buttons.
- A small bowl.
What to do:
- Start this activity by using primary colours red, blue and yellow.
- Place the red, blue and yellow flashcards on a table.
- Pour the coloured buttons into the bowl and ask the child to sort them out. Placing the correct coloured buttons onto the matching flashcard.
- Next add the orange, purple, green flashcards onto the table.
- Once again, the child sorts out the buttons onto the secondary coloured flashcards.
- Depending on the coloured buttons you have, you can add more coloured flashcards such as pink, grey, black, white to sort which will enable the child to learn more colours.
Hints and Tips:
- Instead of buttons you could use any objects that have multiple colours. For example beads, feathers, stickers, pom pom balls etc.
- For an alternative, pick a coloured flashcard, show it to your child and then they have to look around the room for an object of the same colour.
- You can use the Colours Posters and Colours Flashcards available under Printables in this website.