This interesting and simple activity for children, enables them to make shapes using straw pieces and playdough. This will improve the child’s ability to recognise shapes and develop their fine motor and cognitive skills.
- Straws in a variety of colours
- Play dough
- Shapes flashcards
What to do:
- First cut the straws into small pieces of about 2-3 inches.
- Now get the children to make small balls out of the play dough which will be using as connectors.
- Draw a shape or use the shape flashcards and show an example of how to make the shape using the straw pieces and play balls.
- Encourage children to make their own shapes.
Hints and Tips:
- Children should be encouraged to make the play dough balls. Ask them questions about the shape they are making, to what it is similar to and so on.
- Once children familiarise themselves in making shapes they can also make letters and numbers using the straws
- Ask children to make any shape or object of their own choice. This will enhance their imagination skills.
Playdough Image: jamieanne on flickr