Children will learn to "track" the footprints of different Australian animals.
- Small Sand tray
- Australian animal figurines (koala, dingo, echidna, dingo, kangaroo, wombat, platypus, emu etc.).
- Printable animal tracks (many choices available on google)
What to do:
- Set up the sand in the sand tray
- Add the animal figurines and cards around the sand tray.
- Encourage the child to place the animal in the sand to print their footprints.
- The child matches the animal footprints to the card.
- Repeat until all the animals are matched with their footprints.
Hints and Tips:
- Use playdough instead of sand
- Paint can also be used to print the animal track.
- Group discussion - talk about how the Indigenous people used animal tracks to search for different types of animals.