A bright pink healthy dip that children will enjoy during snack time.
- 10 slices Wholemeal pita bread
- Olive oil spray
- 5-6 medium Fresh beetroot OR
- 2* 400g cans of Whole beetroots, drained
- 250g Reduced fat natural yoghurt (a thick variety is best)
- Preheat oven to 180C. If using fresh beetroot, wash the beetroot and trim off the tops and bottoms. Generously spray a baking dish with olive oil. Place beetroot in a baking dish and cover with olives. Bake for 30-35 mins or until tender.
- Slice the pita bread into triangles-cut each slice into half and then each half into 4-5 triangles. Arrange in a single layer on a baking tray and spray with oil, bake for 3-4 minutes on each side until crispy in small batches if necessary.
- Remove the beetroot from the oven and allow to cool off. Remove skin gently (it should rub off easily) and chop into smaller pieces, If using canned beetroot as they will turn your hands pink.
- Place yogurt and beetroot in a food processor, and blend until smooth. Chill in a refrigerator before serving.
- Serve with 1/2 cup of vegetable sticks to dip along with the pita chips
Hints and Tips:
- Pita chips and chips can be made the previous day and stored in different airtight containers.
- For variety, parmesan cheese can be sprinkled on the chips prior to baking.
- For a fuller flavour, try adding some reduced-fat feta cheese and/or crushed garlic to the beetroot mixture.
- Salsa can be used as an alternative to the dip.
- Children may need a spoon to assist with placing dip onto pita chips.