Cheese and vegemite scrolls are easy to make and perfect for an afternoon snack. They are budget-friendly and contain simple pantry ingredients.
- 6 Cup Self-raising flour
- 650 ml Reduced fat milk approx.
- Pinch Table salt
- 3-4 tbs. Vegemite
- 100g Margarine
- 400g Reduced fat tasty cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 220C.
- Sift flour and salt into a bowl then rub through margarine. Stir in enough milk to make a soft dough.
- Working with half the dough at a time, knead gently on a lightly floured surface and roll out to form a 40 cm * 25 cm rectangle.
- Spread the vegemite over the dough then sprinkle 3/4 of the cheese. Roll up along the long side to enclose the cheese.
- Cut each roll into 12*12 cm thick pieces and place them close together, cut side up, on a greased baking tray.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese, and bake for 15-20 mins or until cooked and golden.
Hints and Tips
- Tomato paste can be used as a variation to vegemite. Sprinkle some basil or oregano onto the tomato paste before sprinkling the cheese.
- Lean sliced ham and tomato paste could be used to make pizza scrolls.
- You can experiment with different types of cheese.
- The scrolls can be stored in a refrigerated, airtight container for up to 2 days.
- They can be frozen, in an airtight container, or resealable bags, for up to 3 months.