A great way for children to experiment with colour mixing and to discuss the density of water and oil.
- Cooking oil
- Plastic cups
- Food colouring
- Tray (or cookie sheet)
- Thick cardboard
What to do:
- Mix up food colouring with cooking oil in individual cups.
- Use a tray and add a thin layer of water to cover the bottom.
- Use an eyedropper to drop the colourful oil in various patterns on top of the water.
- Place the paper gently on top of the surface of your creation.
- The oils will now be absorbed into the paper along with the colours.
- Remove the paper and let it settle on a surface to dry out.
Hints and Tips:
- Use smaller or larger drops while painting.
- Use a thicker card
- Use gel food colouring