Butterfly Australia is a citizen science project that enables children and adults to look and record sightings of butterflies. This is a great opportunity for children to observe nature and get them involved in hands on learning and exploration while learning about butterflies.
Involvement in this project helps to create a database of butterfly sightings in Australia. This allows researchers and conservationists to understand more about our butterflies and if they are flourishing or in decline.
Download the free app (iOS and Android) and capture photos of butterfly sightings for recording and uploading. All sightings collected are used to provide scientists with crucial information to help protect at-risk species. The app includes a free digital field guide with information to help identify species of butterfly found in Australia.
Extend on children's learning through this experience by:
- Learning about the lifecycle of a butterfly
- Observe patterns and colours of butterfly wings
- Set up a butterfly science centre
- Create a butterfly garden
- Read The Very Hungry Caterpillar
- Create colourful butterfly prints during craft
For more information: Butterflies Australia