This science experiment shows how skin is waterproof.
- A bucket of water.
What to do:
- Take a good look at your hands and feet.
- Put your hand/feet in the bucket of water for 15 minutes
- Have a look at your hands and feet.
The Science Factor:
The skin on your fingers and toes have gone all wrinkly. Our skin has special oil on it to stop water from soaking in. This makes it almost completely waterproof. If you keep your hands and feet in the water for a long time this oil washes off, your skin soaks up the water that causes it to wrinkle.
Hints and Tips:
- Don't worry, your skin will go back to normal.
- Did you know, you can live for weeks without food but only a few days without water.
- When you trickle water onto your arm the water runs off. The water doesn't soak in because the oil on your skin makes it waterproof.