A science experiment to try with a sink full of water.
- An Empty Bottle (any empty bottle with a lid)
- A Bath filled with Water
What to do:
- Put the lid onto the bottle.
- Lay the bottle on top of the water.
- Allow the bottle to float on top of the water.
- Try and push the bottle down under the water.
The Science Factor:
The bottle is lighter than water so it floats. When you push the bottle down into the water, it is pushing the water out of the way. The water pushes back and this is why it's difficult to push the bottle under the water.
Hints and Tips:
- Did you know, our bodies are lighter than water so we are able to float just like the bottle. When you are in the swimming pool or swimming at the beach the water is also pushing up against you and helping you to float.
- A Greek scientist called Archimedes did experiments like this in his bath too!
- Deep sea divers wear heavy weights to stop the water pushing them up.