This experiment is done in a dark room to teach a child about shadows.
- Torch / Lamp
- Cardboard / Thick Paper
- Wall (preferably plain)
What to do:
- Cut a creative shape out of cardboard.
- Shine a torch or lamp on the card.
- Hold it in front of you, with the wall behind you.
The Science Factor:
The holes in the cardboard let the light of the torch / lamp through but the card itself blocks the light. You get a shadow on the wall in the shape of the card. A shadow is made because light cannot get through the cardboard.
Hints and Tips:
- Watch what happens when you move the shape closer and further from the lamp.
- Use your hands to create different shadows on the wall.