Using salt dough children can make this easy gift for Valentine's Day. They can be used to keep tiny objects like rings or keys or some other nick-nacks.
- Salt dough
- Acrylic paint and brush
- Mod Podge
- Ovenproof bowl preferably a small rectangle in shape
What to do:
- Prepare the salt dough using flour, salt and water.
- In the final stage, you can take the dough mixture out of the bowl and then knead it to form a smooth dough.
- Then they need to roll it out. This needs to be around 1cm thick.
- Then take the kid’s palm and get its imprint on the rolled-out dough. You need to press the fingers deep into the dough to get its impression.
- Now using a knife, we need to cut out the hand imprint from the dough.
- Now take the oven proof bowl and place it in inverted form on the table. Then place the hand imprint on the inverted bowl in a way that you will get the shape of the bowl in the palm region. Adjust the hand print accordingly until you are satisfied.
- Now put in with the bowl for baking in the oven.
- Bake it until both sides of the hand become hard.
- Let it cool in a wired rack.
- Now you can paint it with the colour of your choice. You can even make something in the palm region like a heart shape or write ‘MOM’ in it.
- After the paint has dried seal it with a Mod Podge.
- Your handprint bowl is ready.
Hints And Tips
- Let the kids enjoy making the salt dough. It involves a lot of scope for the development of the fine motor skills of a child.
- You can work this out with air dry clay as well.
- The cutting of the handprint dough has to be done by an adult only.
- Ask kids how would they like to decorate or paint their hand prints. Let them get creative and think of ways to make it attractive.
- You could add some glitter to the bowl by applying glue on a particular area and then pouring some glitter over it. Tap to remove the extra glitter.
- The activity also aims at building hand-eye coordination.
- In case you don’t have oven-proof bowls, you can use the normal plastic ones in the shape specified. Place the handprint on it and let it air dry for a day or 2. Once it becomes stiff, we can bake it. This method though long saves time on baking.
- It's mandatory to use Mod Podge at the end as only then the moisture won’t enter into it and thus, it gives a longer life to it.
- The kids could make this for other occasions as well like Father’s Day or Grandparent’s Day and gift it.