This wonderful craft using salt dough is the best creative and useful gift that the kids could make and gift their mothers this Mother’s Day. They can be used to keep tiny objects like rings or keys or some other nick-nacks. Apart from mothers they could even gift it to their fathers on Father’s Day. The fathers could use them to keep their cuff lings, keys, etc. Wow! Such a useful piece of art it is. And the best part is it has a personalised touch of the child in it.
- Salt dough
- Acrylic paint and brush
- Mod Podge
- Ovenproof bowl preferably a small rectangle in shape
What to do:
- Prepare the salt dough using flour, salt and water.
- In the final stage, you can take the dough mixture out of the bowl and then knead it to form a smooth dough.
- Then they need to roll it out. This needs to be around 1cm thick.
- Then take the kid’s palm and get its imprint on the rolled-out dough. You need to press the fingers deep into the dough to get its impression.
- Now using a knife, we need to cut out the hand imprint from the dough.
- Now take the oven proof bowl and place it in inverted form on the table. Then place the hand imprint on the inverted bowl in a way that you will get the shape of the bowl in the palm region. Adjust the hand print accordingly until you are satisfied.
- Now put in with the bowl for baking in the oven.
- Bake it until both sides of the hand become hard.
- Let it cool in a wired rack.
- Now you can paint it with the colour of your choice. You can even make something in the palm region like a heart shape or write ‘MOM’ in it.
- After the paint has dried seal it with a Mod Podge.
- Your hand print bowl is ready.
Hints And Tips
- Let the kids enjoy making the salt dough. It involves a lot of scope for the development of fine motor skills of a child.
- You can work this out with air dry clay as well.
- The cutting of the hand print dough has to be done by an adult only.
- Ask kids how would they like to decorate or paint their hand prints. Let them get creative and think of ways to make it attractive.
- You could add some glitter to the bowl by applying glue on a particular area and then pouring some glitter over it. Tap to remove the extra glitter.
- The activity also aims at building the hand eye coordination.
- In case you don’t have oven proof bowls, you can use the normal plastic ones in the shape specified. Place the handprint on it and let it air dry for a day or 2. Once it becomes stiff, we can bake it. This method though long save time on baking.
- Its mandatory to use Mod Podge at the end as only then the moisture won’t enter into it and thus, it gives a longer life to it.
- The kids could make this for other occasions as well like Father’s Day or Grandparent’s Day and gift it.