Search found 23 matches

by burgerbunz
Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:12 pm
Forum: Experiences In Childcare
Topic: bad first job
Replies: 5
Views: 1527

Re: bad first job

Thanks for that Lorina, just nice to think it's not all me i guess...i felt so rediculous, a woman in her mid 30's getting shity in the first few months of a career change- what does this do to teenagers entering the workforce- it has the potential to destroy someone. I'm taking a break for six mont...
by burgerbunz
Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:20 am
Topic: bad first job
Views: 1527

bad first job

Hi everyone, Just looking for words of wisdome I think. I just resigned from my first ever job in childcare. I have given it a week for my emotions to calm down, but i'm worried about whether i've made the right career choice. i loved study! I loved most of my prac experiences, the first was really ...
by burgerbunz
Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:03 pm
Forum: Programming and Planning In Childcare
Topic: ECA 2017 Early Years Daily Planner
Replies: 4
Views: 1224

Re: ECA 2017 Early Years Daily Planner

I just received one- I decided to go an order one as everyone at work raves about them. I have to confess I'm sort of 50/50 with it. It gives room for quick notes, so as Lorina said, as a communication tool between educators- I have a note book which I carry religiously with me for observations or a...
by burgerbunz
Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:55 am
Forum: Career In Childcare
Topic: Part Time Work and Study - Masters Of Teaching
Views: 1326

Re: Part Time Work and Study - Masters Of Teaching

You'll be fine! If you've made it this far ;) I found the 3-5 prac the hardest- I was over two rooms for the same prac (one did 3 days a week, the other did different days). and each teacher did things SO differently. They introduce phonics at this age in some places, and each teacher had their own ...
by burgerbunz
Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:45 pm
Topic: Part Time Work and Study - Masters Of Teaching
Views: 1326

Re: Part Time Work and Study - Masters Of Teaching

Hi Kells, I'm just over half way through my masters (same as you) and got my first job which starts this Tuesday as an Early Childhood Teacher in an Independent School. I went in with two completed prac placements, and just over half of the course work done. I took in all my prac reports, I applied ...
by burgerbunz
Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:25 pm
Topic: A Man who is going to Study Early Childhood Education and Care
Replies: 2
Views: 771

Re: A Man who is going to Study Early Childhood Education and Care

I think it is brilliant and more men should be in the industry. It's so stereotypical to think that only women can do this job- when clearly there are boys and girls in the centres, so wouldn't it make sense to have both male and female staff? I just completed a prac at a school where there were man...
by burgerbunz
Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:05 pm
Forum: Childcare Interviews
Topic: Interview For First Time In Child Care
Views: 1335

Re: Interview For First Time In Child Care

Hi guys! Will jump in here- I'm from Tassie, but anyway... I had an interview a few weeks back (I've applied for many, and this was a first for an interview- and I got the job too, so must have done something right). They asked me a lot about the NQF and NQS, absolutely nothing about the EYLF! ha ha...
by burgerbunz
Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:46 pm
Forum: Bachelor Degree - General Discussions
Topic: When can I start to apply for jobs?
Replies: 1
Views: 977

Re: When can I start to apply for jobs?

I am surprised no one has answered this before now! You can apply to work any time through your studies, but because you are now 50% of the way through your course, you can be counted as an Early Childhood Teacher. If you have a look here: http://www.acecqa.gov.au/actively-working-towards-an-approve...
by burgerbunz
Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:14 pm
Topic: Looking for a centre with similar values to my own
Replies: 6
Views: 1660

Re: Looking for a centre with similar values to my own

Each centre is unique, just because someone had a good experience in one centre, doesn't even mean you will in that exact same centre. I have done a few prac experiences through my course, each one very different from the last- nothing that has been mentioned here surprises me in the least. I agree,...
by burgerbunz
Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:30 pm
Forum: Teaching Children
Topic: Alphabet Tracing For Preschoolers
Views: 1278

Re: Alphabet Tracing For Preschoolers

Teachers pay teachers is a good site i've found, but you do need to pay for resources. Most are well done, but American, there are a few EYLF items popping up now.
by burgerbunz
Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:29 pm
Topic: Opening FDC costs
Replies: 11
Views: 1988

Re: Opening FDC costs

I'm keeping an eye on this- I really like the whole concept of family day care- having a small intimate group of families and children who almost become part of your family! I told hubby if all else fails, I'm going to buy an acre of land, set it up so it's self sufficient and run family day care fr...
by burgerbunz
Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:01 pm
Topic: I fail 6 units with OUA
Views: 1392

Re: I fail 6 units with OUA

Have you thought about studying on campus? Maybe online is just not suited to you (some people really struggle with online and limited interaction with others). I found OUA really difficult to study with, but others have found it really easy. I'm studying online and there is a HUGE mix of people tha...
by burgerbunz
Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:55 pm
Topic: Master of teaching?
Replies: 3
Views: 1248

Re: Master of teaching?

Interested to know where you are studying your Masters, I'm with Australian Catholic University.
by burgerbunz
Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:51 pm
Forum: Work Placement
Topic: Working as a casual during prac?
Views: 849

Re: Working as a casual during prac?

Hi Kells, Check with you uni- I am doing my masters too. I picked up casual work after my prac, it was fine as long as it started AFTER my prac and not during, that becomes a conflict of interest if you begin work during your prac. Check with you course coordinator. Heaps of people get offered casua...
by burgerbunz
Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:43 pm
Forum: Certificate 3 & Certificate 4 - General Discussions
Topic: Transfering From One Training Provider To Another
Views: 750

Re: Transfering From One Training Provider To Another

I have done in the past, a long, costly process- especially if you've paid upfront, generally you don't get your money back from them if you are past the census date (you wont get it back if you are past their census date). Some places charge you for auditing previous study, so make sure you ask the...
by burgerbunz
Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:46 pm
Topic: How to get experience when there is none around
Views: 606

Re: How to get experience when there is none around

Oh that sounds really great- I'd have never thought of that! Would I contact the family day care person or go through the organisation which sets up family day care?
by burgerbunz
Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:25 pm
Topic: How to get experience when there is none around
Views: 606

How to get experience when there is none around

Hi everyone. I'm wondering if there are any suggestions on how to get experience when no where will give you any! I'm in my 3rd year (part time) of a teaching degree and have applied for a few entry level positions (I'm mature age- with older children). They are happy with the study I have done, but...
by burgerbunz
Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:07 pm
Topic: Bachelor Of Early Childhood Online Course
Replies: 7
Views: 2238

Re: Bachelor Of Early Childhood Online Course

Make sure you double check the prac requirements. I began with Uni Notre Dame in WA (I was in NT at the time) and it wasn't until they were arranging prac that they told me I needed to do the prac in WA not in NT and I'd need to make arrangements for 3 weeks stay in WA etc (withdrew at once). Change...
by burgerbunz
Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:19 pm
Topic: Frustrated - No Jobs Available In A Centre
Replies: 8
Views: 1728

Re: Frustrated - No Jobs Available In A Centre

Hi Tabitha I'm Amanda, and I live just out of Launceston. I'm in exactly the same boat!!! I couldn't get a place for my first prac last year- as all the centres had UTAS students or TASTAFE and I was with an interstate provider. It's very much about who you know down here, not what you know unfortun...
by burgerbunz
Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:25 pm
Forum: Diploma & Advanced Diploma - General Discussions
Topic: RPL COMPLETED BUT NOT RECOGNISED
Views: 589

Re: RPL COMPLETED BUT NOT RECOGNISED

I did a Cert III about 7 years ago- it wasn't through a Registered Training Organisation. I was young, had no idea, just signed up on the internet. I didn't realise what was going on until I tried to get a job, and stated I had done 'that' course. I had no idea then that RTO's existed, and to look f...