Straw threading will improve a child’s hand-eye coordination and improve their focus and concentration and develop their vocabulary.
- A basket or tray with holes on its walls so that the straws can be inserted into it.
- Straws in varied colours.
What to Do
- Give children bunch of straws.
- Provide them with the tray or basket.
- Now ask them to insert the straws through the holes of the basket so that they don’t fall down.
- They can insert them in any way they like.
Hints and Tips
- Encourage children to complete this independently.
- While doing this activity you can teach a variety of words and their meanings for example -up, down, above, below, across, vertical, horizontal, diagonal and so on. Although these words may seem difficult children will grasp its meaning as they are learning them practically.