Balance and Co-ordination will be improved through this jumping game.
- Small cushion/sponge.
- Long rope approx. 1 metre.
What to do:
- Tie the cushion or a sponge onto the end of the rope.
- Swing the rope around you slightly above the group.
- The child then jumps over the cushion or sock that has been tied at the end of the rope.
- Swing it a little faster each time the child successful jumps over the rope.
Hints and Tips:
- If they are having difficulty swing it a little slower until they master the skill.
- With a few children, if the rope touches anyone, they have to sit out for a minute or swap turns.
- Instead of jumping over the rope, they could hop on one foot or jump with both feet together.
- When using a rope, make sure that the end of the rope is soft by tying a cushion or sponge, so if it happens to hit a child, it wouldn’t hurt.
- Count how many successful jumps the child can do without stopping.