Bored of trying a lot of finger and palm print crafts? Then this one is for you! If you haven’t tried a footprint craft yet this footprint heart craft is the one you must try. It’s such a simple idea but makes a beautiful keepsake you can cherish for so many years. Yes, indeed this would make a great gift for the mothers as they would be surprised to see their little munchkins wish them with this beautiful piece of craft. And I bet its worth the little mess it creates!
- White Cardstock
- Washable paint
- Paper plates
- Construction paper
- Small items to decorate like beads or buttons
- Take the paper plate and pour some paint onto it.
- Place a stool and make the kid sit on it.
- Place the white cardstock beneath the child’s feet.
- Also, place a tub filled with soapy water nearby.
- Make the kid place his foot on the paper plate so that the paint spreads on the whole foot evenly.
- Now ask him to make its imprint on the cardstock. It would be good if he places the foot a little inclined towards his right.
- Now let him put his foot into the soapy water and wash the paint off.
- Now repeat the same procedure with the other foot.
- The imprint of this foot should be inclined slightly towards his left. Both the heels should join together to make a ‘V’.
- Thus, you get a heart shape.
- Now you need to trace a heart that covers these feet.
- You can either make a free-handed drawing of a heart or use a heart template to trace the shape.
- Now cut the cardstock in the heart shape.
- Fold the construction paper into half to form a card.
- Stick the cardstock onto it.
- Now you need to create a border for the heart using any decorative items like beads, buttons or even small pompoms. Simply stick them on the border of the heart using some glue. Write the Mother’s Day wishes inside the card.
Hints And Tips:
- If you have some babies or kids who have small feet, you can try painting their feet with paint.
- Make sure kids have their feet cleaned thoroughly after completing the work.
- Use washable paints alone.
- Carry out the activity in a planned manner in order to reduce the mess.
- The activity though uses the feet, still it gives scope for developing the fine motor skills of a child by the act of decorating of the heart shape border.
- Let the kids get creative and make their own borders.
- It thus helps build hand-eye coordination as well.
- You can do the painting part of the activity outdoors maybe in the garden to reduce the cleaning activity.
- You could also use the following poem as a write up in the card or simply stick a printed copy –
This isn’t just a Butterfly
As you can plainly see.
I made it with my feet
Which is a part of me.
It comes with lots of Love
Specially to say
I hope you have a very
Happy Mother’s Day!