World Nursery Rhyme Week starts today (16th November). Nursery Rhyme week promotes the importance of nursery rhymes in early childhood development and education.
Nursery rhymes are a great way into learning early phonic skills (the ability to hear, identify and manipulate letter sounds).
Nursery rhymes give children practice in pitch, volume as well as in language rhythm.
The Rhyme A Day Challenge
During World Nursery Rhyme Week, 5 rhymes are chosen that encourage children to take part by singing the nursery rhymes and taking part in supporting activities.
Rhymes for November 2020 are:
- Monday 16th – Wheels On The Bus
- Tuesday 17th – Five Little Speckled Frogs
- Wednesday 18th – Hickory Dickory Dock
- Thursday 19th – Old MacDonald Had A Farm
- Friday 20th – Miss Polly Had A Dolly
For free downloadable posters: Nursery Rhymes
For more resources: Word Nursery Rhyme Week