search aussie childcare network

Health Warning As Babies and Toddlers Ingest Hand Sanitiser

  • Written by 
  • Print
Health Warning As Babies and Toddlers Ingest Hand Sanitiser Live Science

An urgent health warning has been issued by the NSW Poisons Information Centre, as they have received a high number of calls due to young children ingesting hand santiser.

Senior Poisons Specialist Genevieve Adamo says "A small amount of sanitiser can be harmful to young children and babies. Hand sanitiser products should be stored safely and out of reach of children. When they are used by young children it should be under the supervision of an adult".

According to the New York Poison Centre, a child that ingests more than a lick of hand sanitiser is at risk of alcohol poisoning. Ethanol is the main active ingredient along with fragrance water or glycerin. To kill germs it also has at least 60% of alcohol in it which can be dangerous for young children.

When a child ingests hand santiser it is recommended to contact the Poison Information centre straight away to receive further advice on what to do.

Call 13 11 26 for poisoning advice 24 hours, 7 days a week, from anywhere in Australia.

Health Warning As Babies And Children Ingest Hand Sanitiser During Coronavirus, 7 News, 13 April 2020

Child Care Documentation App

© 2009-2024 Aussie Childcare Network Pty Ltd. All Rights Reserved.