This is an interesting activity where children will be learning to write letters of the alphabet on their own through tracing. This will improve their ability to recognise letters. Children will also become familiar with the strokes of each alphabet thus making them ready to start writing.
- Clay dough with rolling pin
- Straws in varied colours
- A skewer
What to Do
- Cut the straws into small pieces of about 2 inches.
- Make a ball of clay dough and flatten it.
- Write letters in the clay using skewers.
- Ask children to place each of the straw pieces over the letter print using the straw pieces.
Hints and Tips
- Have the children read and identify each letter. You can start by printing the child’s first letter of their name.
- While making one particular letter you can ask children to tell different words using that letter of the alphabet. This will improve their vocabulary.
- This activity also increases the hand-eye coordination and the fine motor skills of a child.
- Apart from letters you can ask children to trace numbers, shapes or anything as you wish.