Settling Katherine Into Care

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
catej65

Settling Katherine Into Care

Post by catej65 » Mon May 18, 2015 8:47 am

Hi all,

I am returning to study after many years out of the classroom. I have attempted to answer the first question but am now doubting my answer. Can I post it here and get some feedback. I believe I have not used examples of my communication but am not sure how to show that. I am also wondering if I should use dot points rather than sentences.

1. Settling Katherine into care
After reading Katherine’s enrolment form and discussing with Amanda her concerns, I would discuss with her the following:
• Safety within the centre
• Individual attention for Katherine
• Primary care giver
• Routines and response to need.
I would begin by assuring Amanda that our centre has a firm policy commitment to develop strong positive partnerships between the centre and the parent as she has seen with her son Joel. I would go through our centre’s handbook and highlight the areas that address her concerns. Under the National Quality Standard 6, the centre and more specifically each educator within the centre, is committed to provide regular, ongoing opportunities for her to provide information about Katherine and her specific needs, to be informed of any changes in policy, practice or learning environment, to be involved in any decision making about Katherine’s learning and development and to provide specific information and advice to support Katherine’s further development. I would refer to the process used with the initial integration and assimilation of Joel
I would introduce Amanda to Katherine’s primary care provider and explain the role of this primary caregiver and how secondary attachments will benefit Katherine. I would give Amanda a copy of both the Centre’s and the primary care provider’s philosophy. I would encourage Katherine and Amanda to visit and become familiar with the nursery, to discuss Amanda’s values and expectations with the Nursery staff, to share Katherine’s strengths, interest and abilities, develop a service plan outlining routines and rituals already established within the family, and offer an open door policy whereby Amanda was welcome to attend and participate at any time. Amanda needs to be reassured that Katherine’s possible distress at her leaving is natural and ways to comfort Katherine should be discussed.
The first day would involve establishing rituals around Katherine’s entry into the room and how Amanda left. Use of Katherine’s comforter; her dummy and the physical contact of the primary caregiver will be offered as Amanda leaves and the primary caregiver will involve Katherine in some of her favourite activities; stacking things. I would also encourage Amanda to call the centre during the day to check on Katherine. This support to both Amanda and Katherine would continue until both felt comfortable with the rituals.
Ongoing communication with parents is necessary with the Primary caregiver providing a ritualistic welcome and farewell each day. The display of a weekly program outlining learning opportunities and a daily diary consisting of photos and stories, as well as a 2 way communication sheet outlining Katherine’s eating and sleeping patterns will also help allay Amanda’s concerns about Katherine settling. Newsletters, learning stories, display boards of students work, as well as input from Amanda about Katherine’s outside activities will also help develop and continue strong partnerships between the centre and Amanda and will allow Katherine to settle more easily.
In relation to Amanda’s specific concern regarding breastfeeding, it is important to assure Amanda that the centre will support her in continuing to breast feed Katherine. By displaying a range of brochures and posters outlining the importance and benefits of breast feeding and outlining to Katherine how the primary care giver will incorporate the routine of feeding Katherine a bottle of expressed breast milk just before each of her naps, Amanda will be able to see how the centre will value and honour her wish to continue to breastfeed.
To develop a nurturing care routine with Katherine, I would appoint a primary care giver to Katherine. This primary care giver would be responsible for the cognitive and emotional wellbeing of Katherine and a maximum of 3 others ensuring a ratio of 1:4. Positive one on one interactions would be effected where the primary care giver had time individually with Katherine to explore her interests in stacking activities, where she and the caregiver engaged in “round and round the Garden” and other tickle activities and where the primary care giver was able to respond promptly to Katherine’s communication. I would ensure the primary care giver spent time with Katherine in pleasurable activities, speaking to her and explaining a set of daily routines and rituals. Throughout all interactions, a warm caring voice would be used with concentration on Katherine and eye contact maintained.
A specific example of this would be the established ritual Katherine follows when going to bed for a nap. The primary caregiver would be watchful for the signs of Katherine tiring by looking for her rubbing her eyes, showing a change in temperament and having some coordination difficulty. The time will also help the primary caregiver to identify these tired times. At this time, having seen some or all of the indicators Amanda has given to show that Katherine is tired, the primary care giver would give Katherine a bottle of warm breast milk She would then be told she was “Very tired, time for bed”, placed in her baby sleeping bag and rocked for a minute or two before being placed in her cot in a slightly darkened and quiet room.

2. Providing healthy and culturally appropriate meals, snacks and drinks
Both Joel and Katherine are lacto-vegetarians meaning they do not eat meat seafood or eggs. They do, however, eat dairy foods including milk.
Currently Katherine aged 10 months and in the Nursery, has 2 bottle of expressed breast milk per day at approximately 9:30 and 1 pm when she exhibits signs of tiredness. She is beginning to feed herself and enjoys having a spoon she can use herself. She generally uses her hands with some adult supervision and support. Katherine’s favourite foods are banana, zucchini, yogurt and cooked pasta.
Joel is on the preschool room and has, in the past, been identified as a fussy eater with his mother, Amanda, providing his meals. These have consisted of sweet and salty snacks for morning and afternoon tea and plain rice for lunch. He is also provided with a drink bottle of chocolate milk as Amanda believes it is important to drink milk and that, without the flavouring, Joel will not drink it.
To cater for the family’s lacto-vegetarian preference, some basic alterations need to be made to the centre’s service menu on a Tuesday and Thursday when the children attend the centre. The Dietician Association of Australia highlights the need to plan carefully to ensure adequate amounts of Protein, Iron, Zinc, Vitamin B12, Calcium and Omega 3’s. They recommend each day including eggs, dried beans, lentils, nuts or seeds, high fibre breads and cereals, calcium enriched and B12 fortified dairy foods, a wide variety of fruits and vegetables and flaxseed oil .http://daa.asn.au/for-the-public/smart- ... ian-diets/
The huggies website (http://www.huggies.com.au/toddler/recip ... n-children) provides the following tips for vegetarian children:
• Combine two or more sources of protein at each meal.
• Offer a variety of protein-rich foods over the day, avoiding an over-reliance on a few select protein foods – often this is cheese.
• Ensure your child regularly eats adequate amounts of iron-rich foods such as beans, baked beans, dried fruits, whole grains, dark green vegetables and nuts. (Take care when giving small foods to young children as there is a risk of choking; however, you can substitute these with nut pastes, butters and meals/powders.)
• Introduce small amounts of healthy oils from nuts and seeds to make up for any loss of essential fatty acids due to not consuming fish and other animal foods.
• Ensure protein is eaten daily by offering plant-based proteins such as lentils, pulses and grains as well as animal proteins such as egg, cheese, milk, yoghurt etc
According to the feeding schedule for vegan babies (http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/kids.php) Katherine should be fed breast milk, baby cereal and other breads and cereals being introduced, pieces of soft cooked fruit and vegetables, tofu, pureed legume and casseroles whilst Joel should consume 8+ serves of grains, 5+ serves of protein such as tofu and legumes, 4+ serves of vegetable, 2 serves of fruit, 2+ serves of fat and 1 omega 3 fat serve each day.

Original service menu

Adapted menu suitable for Lacto Vegetarian babies and pre-schoolers
Tuesday adapted Thursday adapted
Morning Tea Wholegrain bread with fruit spread
Fruit smoothie

Banana pieces
Bottle of breast milk Raisin toast
Fruit
Milk
Pear pieces
Bottle of breast milk
Lunch Taco filled with lentil & vegetable stew and cheese
Fruit crumble made with LSA
Ice cream
Water
Soft cooked vegetables
Soft cooked apple pieces
Boiled water Burrito pizza base topped with vegetables and cheese
Fruit platter
Vanilla yogurt (no gelatine)
Water
Soft cooked vegetables
Watermelon chunks
Boiled water
Afternoon Tea Ribbon sandwiches with cheese or nut spread
Milk
Finger fruit salad
Bottle of breast milk Pineapple and ricotta dip served with pita bread and apple slices
Milk
Vanilla yogurt with small pieces of fruit
Bottle of breast milk
Week 2 Lacto Vegetarian Menu
Tuesday Thursday
Morning Tea Chopped watermelon
Cheese
Milk
Watermelon pieces
Bottle of breast milk Chopped apple with nut butter
Milk

Banana pieces
Bottle of breast milk
Lunch Stir-fry —sautéed vegetables (broccoli, snow peas, baby corn, carrots, water chestnuts, onions and red bell peppers) and tofu and serve over brown rice.
Fruit
Water
Soft cooked vegetables
Soft cooked apple pieces
Boiled water Whole Wheat Pasta with Pesto Sauce with zucchini, cauliflower and beans
Fruit
Water

Cooked pasta and soft cooked vegetable pieces
Boiled water
Afternoon Tea Soft cooked vegetable sticks (carrot, cauliflower & broccoli) with Hummus
Milk
Finger fruit salad
Bottle of breast milk Rice pudding with stewed fruit
Milk

Vanilla yogurt
Bottle of breast milk

National Quality Standard 2.2.1 states that “Healthy eating is promoted and food and drinks provided by the service are nutritious and appropriate for each child.” To exceed the NQS a centre must demonstrate that “Food and drinks provided by the service are nutritious and appropriate for each child. Healthy eating is consistently and actively promoted and embedded in the everyday program.”

ACECQA outlines National Regulations 78-80 as “If an approved service provides food and drinks, the food and drinks must be nutritious and adequate in quantity, and take into account dietary requirements appropriate to each child’s growth and development needs, and any specific cultural, religious or health requirements. An accurate weekly menu must be displayed at the approved service’s premises. Policies and procedures about nutrition, food and beverages, and dietary requirements must also be in place for the service. http://files.acecqa.gov.au/files/nation ... gs_web.pdf

CHCECE004 states “Traditionally, menu plans are coordinated in cycles of 4–6 weeks. Menu plans are often also planned seasonally to make the best of fresh produce and availability.” By utilising a menu cycle of 4 to 6 weeks, the centre is able to cater for all children’s tastes and nutritional requirements whilst offering a variety of different favours, colours and tastes. Through consultation with children, parents and staff, the centre will ensure they are catering for the centre’s community. Using a cycle means that Joel and Katherine will not be fed the same meal each lunch time they attend. By brainstorming a list of appropriate foods meeting Joel and Katherine’s lacto vegetarian needs over a six week period, the centre can then cycle through the list of food. Each week you start with a different item on the list, ensuring variety for those who attend everyday as well as those, like Joel and Katherine, who only attend particular day/s.
Last edited by Lorina on Tue May 19, 2015 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: Settling Katherine Into Care

Post by Lorina » Tue May 19, 2015 4:56 am

For your first assignment this is a very well thought out and detailed response! :thumbup: I think you have answered each question thoroughly and it shows you have understood the questions relating to the scenario. Also it's great to see you relate back to the NQS throughout your responses, shows how you link these with your overall understanding.

:geek:,
Lorina