Scenario: Samantha - Preparing A Progressive Meal Time

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
jly81

Scenario: Samantha - Preparing A Progressive Meal Time

Post by jly81 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:48 pm

Hi,
I need help for my assessment, I really don't know if my answer really connected to the question. Need help please

Case study
Samantha is working as an early childhood educator at XYZ Childcare Centre. As part of the centre’s initiative to promote healthy eating, Samantha prepares a progressive snack time for the children. She sets out a table and chairs with a platter of healthy snacks, utensils and a jug of water. Once the table is set children know that they are welcome at the table whenever they are hungry.
As each child approaches the table Samantha ensures that they have washed their hands and discusses the snack options available for them. As the children sit and eat, Samantha chats to them about the activities they have engaged in during the day. The children are encouraged to use the utensils and select the snacks that they prefer and pour their own cups of water. As the children leave the table Samantha reminds them to wash their hands. Samantha notices one child playing close by and offers them some snacks or water. The child responds to say that they are not hungry or thirsty and Samantha respects their decision.
Children constantly approach the table and Samantha replenishes the snacks and water as required. Once all the children have had an opportunity to eat and drink or state that they are not hungry, Samantha packs up the table and the snacks.

Question
1.1 Refer to the case study above and give four (4) examples of how Samantha could engage the children in experiences, conversations and routines which promotes a relaxed and enjoyable meal time experience.

and my answers is
Samantha could teach the children about
1. Social skills such as sharing a meal together and learning about acceptable eating habits for example sitting down for a meals and using cutlery correctly
2. Respect for diversity for example trying new foods and learning about foods from other cultures
3. Early numeracy skills for example counting the number of plates needed
4. Well-being for example learning about healthy food choices and experiencing being part of a group

Lorina

Re: Scenario: Samantha - Preparing A Progressive Meal Time

Post by Lorina » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:30 am

Yes, you're on the right track. You could also include:

- getting the children to help prepare the meal
- asking the children to set the table
- telling the children that snack time will begin shortly and what will be available to eat
- talking to the children about what they like to eat at home etc.

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina

jly81

Re: Scenario: Samantha - Preparing A Progressive Meal Time

Post by jly81 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:16 pm

Thank you Lorina :thumbup: