Research The Issues Surrounding Risk In Outdoor Play

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
talyalala
Participator
Participator

Research The Issues Surrounding Risk In Outdoor Play

Post by talyalala » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:14 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: Assessment task RS004 Managing risk in gross motor experiences
Your Assignment Type: Other
Currently Working in Childcare? No
Your knowledge: Beginner

Your Question?
The development of gross motor skills requires an element of risk-taking behaviour in children. ‘Will I give this a try? Can I do it? Will I fall?’ Being able to take a calculated risk allows children to attempt new challenges and acquire new skills. It also builds self esteem and competence.
For this task you will need to access the following articles:
Little, H., & Wyver. Outdoor play: Does avoiding the risks reduce the benefits? Australian Journal of Early Childhood – Volume 33 No 2 June 2008, pp. 33–40.

http://www.earlychildhoodaustralia.org.au/ type name of article into search engine

New, R., Mardell, B., & Robinson, D. Early Childhood Education as Risky Business: Going Beyond What's "Safe" to Discovering What's Possible. Early Childhood Research and Practice. Volume 7, No. 2
http://ecrp.uiuc.edu/v7n2/new.html
McGinnis, J., Adventure Playgrounds and Outdoor Safety Issues. Child Care Information Exchange 3/03 — 46
http://naturalplaygrounds.com/documents ... rounds.pdf

For this task you are required to research the issues surrounding acceptable risk versus absolute safety in relation to children’s outdoor play. Consider the following issues:
• Are safety requirements creating a generation of children who are not able to manage and assess risks?
• Are regulations in relation to safety too restrictive?

Write a report, maximum 500 words, explaining your position on the issue, providing examples from your research. Make sure that you reference your work.

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
I believe that the restrictions and regulations for safety put in place to protect children should be increased, because of all the incidents i seen happening around the world; But i also believe that there should be safe risk activities provided to children so that they could assess the risk and build self esteem.
In the outdoor environment, children can engage in all the activities, with more freedom and exuberance. The outdoors also offers its own wonders to young children. Outdoor spaces extends a child’s world and provides new and different opportunities for plat, growth, and exploration.

Being outdoor means more than just “running around” or “letting off steam.” Outdoors, children have the opportunity to explore and observe nature firsthand. They experience the changing seasons and note different types of weather; they watch things grow also.
When children play outdoors they learn about what their bodies can do: they run, jump, climb, and move in a less confined space than indoors. They gain confidence in their abilities as they learn, practice, and refine their motor skills.

The outdoors contain many opportunities for children to be creative and to demonstrate their ideas and feelings. It provides another setting for dramatic play, as children create playhouses with two chairs and an old blanket. They play with sand and water to create castles and tunnels. They play games such as tag and hide and seek. They also make up new games using materials such as ball, hoops, and jumping ropes.

Being outdoors is also important for children’s health. Fresh air, sunshine, and the chance to move their bodies freely all contribute to growth and gross motor development.

Thank You

Description and Message:
;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Last edited by Lorina on Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: Managing risk in gross motor experiences

Post by Lorina » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:26 am

Great Start!

You have clearly stated your thoughts on this issue which is great. It's clearly written and well thought out. I think you only need to add "provide examples from your research". I wouldn't even have mentioned it but it specifically says it in the question. Just add it into what you have already written.

Other than that it's a good response!

:geek:,
L.A

talyalala
Participator
Participator

Re: Research The Issues Surrounding Risk In Outdoor Play

Post by talyalala » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:56 am

HI LORINA

Thank you about the comment you sent me of my answer to the question. Do you know of any example for me to put in this 500 work report? I can not think of any? ideas please !! :)

Thanks again

Lorina

Re: Research The Issues Surrounding Risk In Outdoor Play

Post by Lorina » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:21 pm

If you read through the articles from your question it has plenty of examples you could use there itself. Find a few points from the article that are similar to what you have written and add them in, along with what you have written. Make sure you reference them as well...

Hope this makes sense,

:geek: ,
L.A