principals of growth

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Jan_Lee

principals of growth

Post by Jan_Lee » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:36 am

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: CHCFC502A Foster physical development in early childhood
Your Assignment Type: Standard Question
Currently Working in Childcare? Yes
Your knowledge: Advanced Knowledge

Your Question?
Question 7. "Provide the definition and principle of growth and general influence on physical development of one of these topics."
I've chosen "early perceptual development"

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
Perceptual development is an aspect of cognitive development that allows a young human being to start interpreting and understanding sensory input. Perception refers to the process of taking in, organizing, and interpreting sensory information.

I've found some principles of growth listed as Cephalocaudal Proximodistal Orthogenetic.

Then I found another list of ten items describing the principles of growth

The principles of growth and development are described below.

(i) Development follows a pattern:

Development occurs in orderly manner and follows a certain sequence. For example, the human baby can stand before he walks and can draw a circle before he can draw a square. He babbles before he talks, he is dependent on others before he becomes self-dependent.

(ii) Development proceeds from general to specific responses:

It moves from a generalized to localized behavior. The newborn infant moves its whole body at one time instead of moving only one part of it. It makes random kicking with its legs before it can coordinate the leg muscles well enough to crawl or to walk.

(iii) Development is a continuous process:

Development does not occur in spurts. Growth continues from the moments of conception until the individual reaches maturity. It takes place at slow regular pace rather than by ‘leaps and bounds’.

Although development is a continuous process, yet the tempo of growth is not even during infancy and early years, growth moves swiftly. Later on, it slackens.

(iv) Different aspects of growth develop at different rates

Neither all parts of the body grow at the same rate nor do all aspects of mental growth proceed equally. They reach maturity at different times.

(v) Most traits are correlated in development:

Generally, it is seen that the child whose intellectual development is above average is so in health size, sociability and special aptitudes.

(vi) Growth is complex:

All of its aspects are closely interrelated. The child’s mental development is intimately related to his physical growth and its needs.

(vii) Growth is a product of the interaction of the organism and environment:

Among the environmental factors one can mention nutrition, climate the conditions in the home, the type of social organization in which individual moves and lives.

(viii) There are wide individual differences in growth:

Individual differences in growth are caused by differences in heredity and environment.

(ix) Growth is both quantitative and qualitative:

These two aspects are inseparable. The child not only grows in ‘size’; he grows up or matures in structure and function too.

(x) Development is predictable:

It is possible for us to predict at an early age the range within which the mature development of the child is likely to fall. But mental development cannot be predicted with the same degree of accuracy.

Description and Message:
The definition of early perceptual development is easy enough but I'm confused as to what principle relates to this.

Lorina

Re: principals of growth

Post by Lorina » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:00 pm

I'm not too sure if this helps but since you chose "early perceptual development", I have some information relating to perceptual development. It may help with this question:

http://education.stateuniversity.com/pa ... ESSES.html

http://booksite.elsevier.com/brochures/ ... opment.pdf

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

Jan_Lee

Re: principals of growth

Post by Jan_Lee » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:26 am

Thank you, Lorina. I'm working on the essay for cognitive development at the moment, I'll get back to physical development next week and have a good look at those sites.
:thumbup:
Jan