Identifing, Classifying, Comparing, Generalising, Contrasting, Hypothesising

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
marj

Identifing, Classifying, Comparing, Generalising, Contrasting, Hypothesising

Post by marj » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:14 pm

Hi i'm studing my diploma and i have to get two observations for each of the following terms to show children exploring thier environment and enhancing their knowledge
Can someone explin the terms to me and what learning experiences would go with the terms.
Terms are : Identifing, Classifying, Comparing, Generalising, Contrasting, Hypothesesing.

thanks heaps
Marj

Lorina

Re: Identifing, Classifying, Comparing, Generalising, Contrasting, Hypothesising

Post by Lorina » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:23 am

Hi Marj,

I’ll try to help you out with your assignment…

Identifying - Establish or indicate who or what (someone or something) is. For e.g. matching picture cards to pictures on a board, hearing sounds and naming the object the sound is from (such as a rain or a dog barking).

Classifying - To arrange or organize according to class or category. For e.g. arrange dinosaurs into herbivores and carnivores, organize colored counters onto each color card.

Comparing-To examine (two or more objects, ideas, people, etc.) in order to note similarities and differences. For e.g. making a graph of children’s hair or eye color, adding objects into a trough of water to compare which objects float or sink.

Generalising -To give a general rather than a specific or special character or form to.

Contrasting -To compare in order to show unlikeness or differences

Hypothesesing - To assume; suppose

I just got a mind block…I’ve been sitting here for 10 mins thinking about what learning experiences you could use for the last three… I mean I understand what they mean but I just can’t think of a learning experience… Let me sleep on it and I’ll get back to ya…

Have a good nite,

Cheers :geek: ,
L.A

marj

Re: Identifing, Classifying, Comparing, Generalising, Contrasting, Hypothesising

Post by marj » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:30 pm

Hi L.A
Thanks so much! :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:01 pm

Hi Marj,

Sorry for my mind block the other night :oops: …here are the learning experiences you can include for the rest of the terms.

Generalizing – Provide a variety of puzzles with different categories: animals, vegetables, fruit etc. – In home corner setup a shop with a variety of items (tins of food, recycled boxes of food items etc.).

Contrasting – Select two scenes from a magazine and discuss with children how scenes are alike or different. – Put two small potted plants in a sunny spot in your room. Water one of the plants as needed. Do not water the other plant. Encourage the children to describe how the plants are alike and how they are different.

Hypothesizing – Science Experiment: See if you can grow new plants from leaves like lettuce. Place leaves cut side down into moist soil and see what happens. Science Experiment: Fill up a bottle filled with water and put it in a container full of water…what happens…will it float or sink?

Good Luck with your assignment!

Cheers :geek: ,
L.A

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:09 am

Some more learning experiences you can use –

Identifying
- Matching numbers to correct amount of objects.
- Singing heads, shoulders, knees and toes (with actions).
- Pointing to shapes on a poster when saying their name.

Classifying
- Living and Non Living Things
- Buttons into shape /color.
- Objects and Items into size or color.

Comparing
- Make a graph of what color car the children come to school in.
- Set out weight scales and have the children compare which objects are heavier or lighter.
- Compare how many lollies (raspberries, strawberries and cream, snakes etc.) can fit into three different
shaped containers.

Hope this gives some more ideas…

marj

Post by marj » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:53 pm

Hi L.A

Thanks so much!Marj :)