How can we get Parents to work together with us when dealing with Challenging Behaviours?

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
feebeeau

How can we get Parents to work together with us when dealing with Challenging Behaviours?

Post by feebeeau » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:22 pm

As Part of my Diploma Homework We have to pick a Topic and put it in a forum to brainstorm ideas on the topic. In my experience some parents do not want to hear about the children's challenging behaviours as their child is perfect and is hard to diplomaticly let them know that the child is not as perfect as they think.
Last edited by Lorina on Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: topic has been moved from Children's Behaviour forum

Lorina

Re: How can we get Parents to work together with us when dealing with Challenging Behaviours?

Post by Lorina » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:24 am

Some parents do realise how much their child misbehaves and asks us educators on how we manage it so they too can continue the same procedures at home. In past centres I have worked at, I have worked along side parents to support their child's behaviour. We would discuss the behaviour displayed and how the parent is handling at home what works for them and what doesn't, then discuss the same behaviour child displays at the centre and how we handle it. We then share our tips and strategies with the parents so they do the same at home... I agree with your point that some parents are also in denial regarding their child's behaviour and don't like it when we say negative things about it...

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Re: How can we get Parents to work together with us when dealing with Challenging Behaviours?

Post by catchmeifucan » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:44 pm

Setup a “Managing Challenging Behaviour” workshop and information night for parents.