HLTHIR404D - 5 Strategies to Eliminate Bias

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
kirstiejm
Participator
Participator

HLTHIR404D - 5 Strategies to Eliminate Bias

Post by kirstiejm » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:59 am

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: HLTHIR404D – Work effectively with Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander people
Your Assignment Type: Standard Question
Currently Working in Childcare? Yes
Your knowledge: Beginner

Your Question?
2. Briefly describe 5 strategies that you can employ the eliminate bias amongst clients and co-workers.

I need 5 strategies but have only come up with 3. I've looked through my study guide booklet and online but cant seem to find anything else.

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
We all need to understand that each person is different and individual and have experienced different things in their lives. One strategy to eliminate bias amongst clients and co-workers is to educate ourselves first about different cultures and their values, ideas and opinions. Another strategy is to perform exercises with each other during staff meetings to put ourselves in other peoples shoes and think about what it would feel like to be in a different position. Another strategy would be to have an Elder or someone from your local Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander (ATSI) community (or an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander parent from the centre) come in to the centre and talk about their experiences and life and allow the staff to ask questions to develop their own knowledge and understanding.

Description and Message:

kirstiejm
Participator
Participator

Re: HLTHIR404D - 5 Strategies to Eliminate Bias

Post by kirstiejm » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:08 am

I have also added about learning the local ATSI peoples language and incorporating basic words into familiar songs and stories. Is there anything else I can add?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:16 am

Provide regular training for staff, to develop their knowledge of cross-cultural practice and cultural sensitivity.
Encourage staff to engage in cultural consultation when working with CALD clients.
Employ bilingual staff or ethnic-specific workers to provide bilingual/bicultural services and also improve knowledge of cross-cultural practice.
Create an open atmosphere for staff to bring up their concerns.
Provide facts, statistics or information that enables people to seek assistance or obtain information regarding other cultures (informed decision-making).
Develop an anti-discrimination policy.
Set up advisory boards with cultural representatives.
Have an advisory group help devise a plan for a series of events that will draw attention to discrimination.
Contact members of the local media (i.e. local newspaper, radio, etc.) to ask if they will use their respective mediums to promote a greater awareness of discrimination.
Foster mutual respect in the workplace.
Spend time getting to know people from culturally diverse backgrounds.
Create environments that allow for a great deal of exchange among participants.
Know how to establish and encourage positive and appropriate relationships with people from culturally diverse backgrounds.
Be aware of your own values and do not seek to impose them upon others.
Use correct terminology when referring to a person from a culturally diverse background.
Challenge abusive or derogatory terms.
Establish a standard of conduct.
Ref: Best Practice In Service Delivery

:geek:,
L.A

V.G

Post by V.G » Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:02 pm

4. Discuss how an individual’s values, beliefs and behaviours may lead to an individual showing bias or discriminating against others
can someone please help me to find the answer for this question

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:55 pm

Varteny.gizmejian wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:02 pm
4. Discuss how an individual’s values, beliefs and behaviours may lead to an individual showing bias or discriminating against others
can someone please help me to find the answer for this question
This may help:

Understanding Discrimination and Bias

:geek:,
Lorina