Health and Safety

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
louise92

Health and Safety

Post by louise92 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:15 pm

Your Assignment Module Number and Heading: CHCCN511B establish and maintain a safe and healthy environment for children
Your Assignment Type: Case Scenario
Currently Working in Childcare? Yes
Your knowledge: Basic Knowledge

Your Question?
After the Fire Brigade arrives and assesses the situation, they find the cause of the smoke was from the lint in the dryer. After further investigation, they pronounce the building safe and you are allowed to enter the centre

I. How would you sensitively and calmly provide accurate information to the parents? (what details would you include?)
II. What strategies would you implement to ensure all staff members and children are prepared for future evacuations?

What is your answer so far or What have you done so far as an attempt to solve this question?
I.

II.
I would collate information from the teachers in the from to gather information on how they thought the children and staff dealt with the evacuation procedure during the emergency. I would then look at ways of incorporating fire safety and evacuation procedures into the children every day learning. For example reading the children books on fire safety and discussing the importance of following the direction of the Educators in their room.
I would then have a meeting with all staff to ensure that each one knew the emergency and evacuation procedures, and that they knew what was expected in the event of an emergency. This would prevent staff from feeling overwhelmed and under trained in the event of an emergency.
Regular practice of evacuation procedures will help both the children and staff know where they have to go, what they have to do and how they should respond in the event of one occurring.

Description and Message:
I am struggling to find any resources to help me with the first answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated and if you could point me to any resources on the topic that would be great.

Thanks