Exploring Cognitive Development:- Scenario The Secret

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
mbadal

Exploring Cognitive Development:- Scenario The Secret

Post by mbadal » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:55 pm

Scenario: The Secret
Frank, Carter & Samir (5 years) have a secret. They have discovered gold is in the playground. (Samir has some rocks painted gold that his grandfather gave him). The three boys are deciding where to dig for more gold. They have drawn a map of the playground which they have attached to a clipboard. They ask Brooke if they can secretly bury their gold and then challenge the other children to find it. It is agreed that when everyone goes inside for music the boys will go and bury their gold.
Using the idea the children have developed in their play, plan a follow up experience for a small/large group of children. Ensure that your experience will be challenging and interesting for all children.
In your answer detail:
• How can you tap into the children’s enthusiasm and imagination?
• What additional resources could you add?
• How could you include maths and literacy in this experience?

My answers:
• How can you tap into the children’s enthusiasm and imagination?
I would first read a book to the children on "The hidden treasure" and discuss the story with them, what they think, their ideas and to add some excitement i would ask "what about if there is gold buried in the school playground and you are asked to go for a hunt of gold"
(Don't know if its good but if you add some ideas......)

• What additional resources could you add?
spade, bucket, binoculars

• How could you include maths and literacy in this experience?
Math: Maybe by indicating the directions east,west, north, south
Literacy: ??

Could you please suggest how can i answer these questions.

Regards,

Maya

Lorina

Re: Exploring Cognitive Development:- Scenario The Secret

Post by Lorina » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:05 pm

Hi Maya,

Apologise for my delay... I just got back from Thredbo.

Anyway, regarding your question, it's a good start! You could even - talking to the boys about how the treasure got in the school in the first place? Such as maybe pirates could have put it there... You could also get the boys to design maps and clues that can be found around the playground which could lead them to the treasure.

For additional resources you could also include: maps, compass, notebook and pencils (to note down clues etc.), a map, toy camera, clues etc.

I hope this helps!

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Re: Exploring Cognitive Development:- Scenario The Secret

Post by Lorina » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:09 pm

Sorry forgot to add - yes for math talking about direction, maybe counting such as how much treasure they find, etc. As for literacy, talking about the different pirates that could have buried the treasure, finding clues (above, below, behind in from) etc.

Oh love your name because my daughter is named Maya as well! :mrgreen:

:geek:,
Lorina